Is this shock loss?

Hi!
I'm at 6 months post operation.
I noticed the hair near my crown has thinned more than it used to look (been taking finasteride every day for over a year).

Is this shock loss?  Can it still happen months after operation?

Here is 9 weeks post operation;
image.png.bc470a77f7c3d5dd2ca1496e0d208e24.png

And here is 6 months post operation;
image.png.78dc975a4230d467d152c4fa80c2b061.png

Edited by SeanToman

Can you try to get your latest picture from the exact same angle as the 9 week one? It may just be the way you have the camera positioned. 

I think 6 months is too much time for shock loss to suddenly occur. 

Do you have a picture with the grafts visible where they were planted in the crown?

There is also a possibility your crown has always had this level of loss, and post-op you are paying a lot more attention to this region and are just noticing it all. 

Or Fin is not stopping all your hairloss, etc.

2 hours ago, SadMan2021 said:

Can you try to get your latest picture from the exact same angle as the 9 week one? It may just be the way you have the camera positioned. 

I think 6 months is too much time for shock loss to suddenly occur. 

Do you have a picture with the grafts visible where they were planted in the crown?

There is also a possibility your crown has always had this level of loss, and post-op you are paying a lot more attention to this region and are just noticing it all. 

Or Fin is not stopping all your hairloss, etc.

Sure thing, I'll try to get an image on Friday morning. 
No grafts were planted in the crown, only the front hairline sir. :)

• Administrators

To me it looks the same except a different angle and lighting. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Sean,

The first question I have is when you started to notice this thinning in the donor area.  For example, did your donor area get thinner immediately after your hair transplant and remains thin or did you only start noticing it getting thinner within the last month or two for example?

i’m asking because if it’s shock loss from hair restoration surgery, you would’ve experienced the shock most likely between 10 to 12 weeks after surgery and it could take up to six months to a year to thicken up again.  However, if it just started getting thinner, I suggest consulting with a dermatologist to find out if there’s some other issue.

If you noticed that your donor hair looks thinner now then before surgery but it didn’t occur just randomly over the last month or two, it’s possible it’s just a little thinner because you’ve had hair taken from the area for your surgery.

In my opinion, the photos you presented don’t really give a clear enough picture as they are taken from a little further away and aren’t really close up. I don’t see any signs of an actual problem even if you happen to feel it looks thinner looking than it used to be. The real question is whether or not what you are seeing looks unnatural and like scarring.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Hi!
Just to confirm; it was indeed the lighting.
I'm just learning about the importance of lighting recently so apologies for the confusion caused. 😄

Edited by SeanToman