Question regarding hair dye

Hello everyone,

I'm at 37 days post-op. Planning to dye my hair at 6 weeks post-op. (2500 grafts NW 2)

1. Is that too early to dye the transplanted hair? If so when is it safe to do so?

2. Almost every dye I'm finding either has PPD in it or peroxide (no ammonia though) Are dyes with PPD or peroxide okay to use on transplanted hair?

(No allergy to either, have used such dyes before.)

Thank you for your insight

Do you want to dye it personally or have to do so for a job etc.? 

I'd personally try to avoid using bleach/dye for the full 12 months but i know others on here will probably say its safe after X duration of time. 

• Thanks 1

It is safe.  I used to dye mine and did so about 4 weeks post op.  However, this was Just For Men which is one of the milder dyes (relatively) out there.

• Thanks 1

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

• Moderators

I have always used Just For Men and have never had a problem with it. I try to go about 6 weeks before dying it.

• Thanks 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

6 hours ago, NARMAK said:

Do you want to dye it personally or have to do so for a job etc.? 

I'd personally try to avoid using bleach/dye for the full 12 months but i know others on here will probably say its safe after X duration of time. 

Thank you for replying.

I want to dye it Personally. I'm 31 and have gone nearly 65% grey. Have been dying it for 10 years already and have never been out showing the whites yet. For the last 2 weeks I've been wearing a hat to cover the whites. I would love to wait the full 12 months but that'll be quite difficult to do.

22 minutes ago, Jan22transplant2500 said:

Thank you for replying.

I want to dye it Personally. I'm 31 and have gone nearly 65% grey. Have been dying it for 10 years already and have never been out showing the whites yet. For the last 2 weeks I've been wearing a hat to cover the whites. I would love to wait the full 12 months but that'll be quite difficult to do.

Yeah, i think hopefully you can dye it and should be fine. I guess you get a hair transplant to give you a more youthful look, you don't want greys make you look aged lol