Choice of surgeon, thoughts please.

Hi all.

After researching my options, I have a list of possible surgeons for my first transplant.
I say first, I may only need one. As average required grafts is about 2500 from those listed who assessed my pics, but am aware I may need a smaller one to add density?
To be honest it is quite daunting, its easy to see why people make bad choice of clinic.

I would appreciate your thoughts, on my list.
It is NOT in order of preference.

Dr Pekineer

HLC

Dr Saifi

Dr. Ferreira I think his prices have been increased??

Dr Bruno Pinto. Although just been told due to volume of requests they are not giving treatment quotes online until further notice.
But have asked if I can have an in person assessment.

Eugenix: Exclusive package

Dr. Kongkiat Laorwong

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Moxer
  • Like 1

These are all very good considerations. It can come down to whoever seems the best fit for your particular needs. So looking at as many of their results as possible and getting a real feel of who’s work you prefer. 
Dr Pekiner isn’t one for taking on particularly large cases, usually doing up to approx 2k. Dr Saifi doesn’t tend to use that many grafts either. 
Both Dr Ferreira + Dr Pinto stand out to me, 2 of the best names in Europe and they are both very good value, between €2.6 - 3 approx. 

• Like 2

Have you considered Dr Bicer? 20+ years experience, 1 patient a day, forum recommended and 2 euro/graft automated FUE.

Is Dr Pekiner's website back up and running now? I can't find where you'd even initiate the process of an online consultation etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ProspectII said:

Have you considered Dr Bicer? 20+ years experience, 1 patient a day, forum recommended and 2 euro/graft automated FUE.

Is Dr Pekiner's website back up and running now? I can't find where you'd even initiate the process of an online consultation etc.

Another good suggestion. 👍🏽

49 minutes ago, ProspectII said:

Go to the Italian forum, his advisor is a moderator there.

Thanks ProspectII, I did consider Dr Bicer, but she recommended a lot more grafts than anyone else.

I appreciate it is only an estimate, just made me think twice.
I quite like the idea of being slightly more conservative with the number of grafts used initially, then going back for more if needed.

7 minutes ago, Moxer said:

Thanks ProspectII, I did consider Dr Bicer, but she recommended a lot more grafts than anyone else.

I appreciate it is only an estimate, just made me think twice.
I quite like the idea of being slightly more conservative with the number of grafts used initially, then going back for more if needed.

Dr Bicer is quite conservative with her graft counts, how many was she suggesting ? Was it much above the 2.5k you mentioned ?

Hi JC71 she suggested 3000 - 3500.
I am in my early 50's so she may have felt it was safe to be more aggressive due to my age, she did say one session should be enough.
Which I would probably agree with, but if I needed over 3000 grafts, I would prefer to do that number over tow sessions months apart.
I was really impressed by her patient coordinator, really helpful and quick to answer.

• Like 1

Just now, Moxer said:

Hi JC71 she suggested 3000 - 3500.
I am in my early 50's so she may have felt it was safe to be more aggressive due to my age, she did say one session should be enough.
Which I would probably agree with, but if I needed over 3000 grafts, I would prefer to do that number over tow sessions months apart.
I was really impressed by her patient coordinator, really helpful and quick to answer.

Up to and around 3-3.5k is a safe amount of grafts to do in one session. She is very good with planning, and will always split a ht in 2 sessions if needed. Its also possible that the other clinics/Drs may suggest more grafts if they see you in person. How many were the others suggesting ? 

I personally think the advice to see what clinic offers results closest to what you want is right. 

For example if you specifically needed to restore your temple points, Eugenix might jump further up the list as they seem to be known for that now. If it's moreso a frontal hairline, then the ones listed all seem adept and then it comes down to cost, location and ease after you decide which are the better ones in your eyes. 

• Like 1

One clinic said 1800 - 2300

One said 2000

Another 1800 - 2000

Another did say around 3600

I know its difficult to assess from photos, think I will go into it thinking I need up to 2500 then have another procedure of 1000 at a later date if needed.

• Like 1

Just now, Moxer said:

One clinic said 1800 - 2300

One said 2000

Another 1800 - 2000

Another did say around 3600

I know its difficult to assess from photos, think I will go into it thinking I need up to 2500 then have another procedure of 1000 at a later date if needed.

I definitely wouldn’t rule out Dr Bicer, she would be happy to come up with a plan to suit your needs. Out of curiosity what did Eugenix say ? 

Initially they gave a lower estimate, but when I asked if we could be more aggressive, they said 2200 - 2500.
To be honest its only the flight time to Eugenix that puts me off, I live in the UK.

• Like 1

Just now, Moxer said:

Initially they gave a lower estimate, but when I asked if we could be more aggressive, they said 2200 - 2500.
To be honest its only the flight time to Eugenix that puts me off, I live in the UK.

It’s a long haul for sure… My choices for my 6th ht are between Eugenix and Bicer. I’m also from the Uk, I would be willing to endure the flight time to get the results I’m looking for 😉

For me, its more the return flight, and the saline spraying of the new grafts
As I don't know how I will feel a few days after the surgery.
I don't really want to stay longer away from home too long.
In your experience, how do you feel in the days after surgery?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Moxer said:

For me, its more the return flight, and the saline spraying of the new grafts
As I don't know how I will feel a few days after the surgery.
I don't really want to stay longer away from home too long.
In your experience, how do you feel in the days after surgery?

Yeh i get that, I have thought about the same ! My 2 FUTs were in the Uk, so I headed back home the day after, and also the same day. I didn’t feel too bad tbh, but I was very conscious of the strip scar. After my 3 FUE I have felt ok, not as sore and on each occasion I flew back the day after. It’s getting in to the right sleeping position I always struggled with ! That and the itching…. 😂

• Like 1

I did send him some pictures at the start of Covid.
I will ask for an updated quotation.
Just wanted to ask for advice from experienced members of the forum before making a final choice.

I am also in a similar position to you. I have a few of the same choices that you have listed that I am considering. But in my position I am in the states so travelling to any of the countries is not much of an issue sine it'll be a small part of the long term process.

Out of what you listed I think Eugenix, Pekiner, and HLC would be my top choices in terms of how soon I would be able to get something done. I think Ferrira and Pinto's wait times are over a year? So I wouldnt consider them as an option (mainly because I reached out and heard nothing back so I assume they arent taking online consults?).

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

13 hours ago, Vann said:

I am also in a similar position to you. I have a few of the same choices that you have listed that I am considering. But in my position I am in the states so travelling to any of the countries is not much of an issue sine it'll be a small part of the long term process.

Out of what you listed I think Eugenix, Pekiner, and HLC would be my top choices in terms of how soon I would be able to get something done. I think Ferrira and Pinto's wait times are over a year? So I wouldnt consider them as an option (mainly because I reached out and heard nothing back so I assume they arent taking online consults?).

Both Pinto and Ferreira are off limits for now but said they would be opening consultations soon. 

Don't get too caught up on the graft estimates. It all depends on where you draw the lines. If you lower your hairline 1cm, that can be about 800 grafts with high density. And how far back you go into your midscalp. 

At the 2.5/graft price, you're in pretty safe territory. Go with the one that you are comfortable with and that can do it when you want to go. 

• Like 1

Vann, I know that for Dr Pinto it will be November for any assessment, so guess next year for surgery??

MachoVato, thanks, you right, timing is also a consideration, so both Dr Pinto and Dr Ferreira are pretty much off my list.