The best way to wash scabs out?

Hi all, tomorrow is 10 days for after my HT at HLC and super excited to finally get these scabs off my head.  However it seems as though there a many different methods on how best to remove the scabs and I was trying to get some good consensus on what to do here. According to HLC: "From the 10th day you can washing your new hair as usual. During washing gently rub with your fingertips in the growth direction of your hair so the crusts on the recipient area fall off."  They also recommended to use a gentle shampoo (sebamed) and apply the foam and massage for a minute or two to help get out the scabs.

I have also read people recommending to soak the hair in shampoo or conditioner for 30 minutes before starting to remove the scabs. Why conditioner over shampoo? Any difference at all?  Melvin also recommended this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpdmLGpju5w

My plan so far is to take a shower on low pressure to get the scabs wet, then use sebamed shampoo (since its ph 5.5) and let it soak for 20-30 minutes and slowly use fingertips to massage out the scabs. 

Some questions:

- What method did you use?

- Why conditioner over shampoo?

- How easily do the scabs come off? Do I need to apply alot of pressure?

-Should I try to get all the scabs off on the 10th day or just get as many off as possible?

Thanks, I am a bit nervous about this.

Cheers

Edited by spacemanspiff

Spaceman,

At the end of the day I always tell people to follow their doctor’s postop instructions as they’re all just a little different. That said, as you can see there are many methods you can use to safely and successfully remove the scabs after surgery. 10 days is a safe time to begin removing them.

Your method is essential exactly the same one that I use. At the end of the day, it’s more of an art than a science. Conditioner works better than shampoo because it moisturizes the scalp and softens the skin. You can always start with shampoo but I usually don’t start working on the scabs until after I’ve wet the scalp for a while and let let the conditioner sit on the scalp for about five minutes.

The key is to massage the area in slow, soft circular motions with the fingertips and not the nails.   Start by massaging the area in slow, soft circular motions with the fingertips and not the nails. Please avoid any temptation to pick at the scabs with your nails even when you loosen them and even if they are hanging off. 

Keep in mind that you will most likely not remove all scabs in single day. It might take 2 to 3 days or even a little longer depending on how long you work at them in the shower. I will typically take two to three three showers a day for at least an hour or even longer to gently work them off if I felt they were literally so close to coming off.  Just don’t force them.  They will willingly fall off when you’ve gently loosened them enough.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant
  • Like 2

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

My plan so far is to take a shower on low pressure to get the scabs wet, then use sebamed shampoo (since its ph 5.5) and let it soak for 20-30 minutes and slowly use fingertips to massage out the scabs.

This is basically exactly what I did, although I went against the usual advice and after massaging for the scabs a while, I very lightly used my fingernails to assist in removal of the softened scabs. I trimmed them beforehand and did the whole thing in a warm shower, going slow and taking my time. I felt no pain and had zero blemishes afterwards, making sure to always move in the direction of the hair. This was on day 7.

If you're worried about pulling out a graft or something like that you can safely put your mind at ease - at day 10 (and quite a bit sooner) they are firmly locked in there. However I agree with the excellent advice from Dr. Rahal's rep above to take your time and don't rush. What I did felt okay for me, but I'm not sure I'd advise it generally and everyone's body heals differently.

IMG_6543.JPG

IMG_6558.JPG

Follow my second hair transplant journey below

Caucasian - 4613 Grafts - Eugenix, Dr. Arika Bansal