ROLE OF PRP

Hi friends..

I will be getting a hair transplant. After that I have to travel to anther country for job requirement, where I will be staying for 5 months. I will not be able to get any PRP for 5 months after my transplant. But I will be taking finasteride and other medications regularly. My first PRP session can oly be 5 to 5.5 months after the transplant.

Will the lack of PRP for 5 + months have any adverse effect on hair transplant ??

PRP, when done correctly, can help the grafts come in sooner.  More importantly, can help reverse the miniaturization process.  Thus, PRP at the time of the procedure would be ideal.  But it also can be done at any time.   

• Thanks 1

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

18 minutes ago, LaserCaps said:

PRP, when done correctly, can help the grafts come in sooner.  More importantly, can help reverse the miniaturization process.  Thus, PRP at the time of the procedure would be ideal.  But it also can be done at any time.   

Thanks for the reply.. Do you mean PRP during  the hair transplant ??

1 minute ago, My HT said:

Thanks for the reply.. Do you mean PRP during  the hair transplant ??

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

Just now, LaserCaps said:

Right.  But it can be done at any time.  So, if you are planning a transplant, and the doctor has a proven record of success with PRP, then OK.  

For patients that are not good candidates for transplants or just decide medication is a good solution, PRP is also an alternative at any time.

• Thanks 1

I would agree with Laser Cap. If PRP is of good quality and the Dr has a proven track record, I think PRP is a good alternative to Minoxidil maybe even a better option. The issue is that in a lot of cases PRP might not be of good quality whcih explain the variety of feedbakc form users. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, JC71 said:

PRP may or may not be beneficial for the initial growth but few places are actually carrying it out properly. I see barely any benefit to be had in the later stages. Most clinics are not using it. Which clinic have you chosen ? 

I could not agree more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

PRP as mentioned isn't seemingly done to the same standards and how it should be done isn't the way in the majority of places it seems.

However, the biggest problem i personally see is that for the cost, it isn't effective enough. 

PRP alone won't imo help treat the underlying caus of MPB. You need to be on Finasteride or Dutasteride firstly to block DHT. I would even argue Microneedling for the price gives a better bang for your buck even if you need to do it as many as 2-3x a week. Personally 1x a week at 1-1.5mm is easiest. 

PRP can run thousands of dollars. So to me, it's nothing more than a spin at making money. It's the higher end of almost snake oil imo. Albeit it probably gets spun as being more science backed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1