Aussie guy looking for recommendations - transplant overseas or in Australia? Which is best/ most economical?

Hi All.... just found this forum; I'm a first time poster. Im an Aussie guy early 50's who is just considering my options for hair loss (I only have a fairly small area on top of head middle section that is thinning rapidly - everywhere else is still thick). My question is, which I'm  sure has been asked many times, is it cheaper and just as good to seek treatment overseas? Australia seems to be super expensive. I.E I was just quoted 17k-20k for 3000 to 4000 FUG strips from a reputable clinic in Sydney. This is pretty much out of my budget atm. A few barbers I have casually spoken to mention treatment in Turkey is really great and far less expensive. So... Im after real answers and real experience of any guys who have done this. Sincerely appreciate any help/ input... thanks so much :) 

• Administrators

In Australia it’s not the cost, it’s the quality. You can get way better quality for similar price going to Europe. There’s also good options in India and Thailand. Take a look at our full recommendations.

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/hair-transplant-surgeons.asp?sr=HRN-MOB

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

As a fellow Aussie I'd advise against going to any Australian clinics we just aren't on par with the rest of the world yet. Not saying there isn't the odd good result however for a similar price like Melvin said you can book in with a world esteemed doctor and have faith you've put yourself in the best possible position.

Edited by GEazy
  • Like 2

• Valued Contributor

You have dodged a massive bullet @iBrad33 by joining this forum and not having surgery in Australia. I have been researching hair transplant surgeons here for the past 37 years. I'm similar in age to you and last month I went to Eugenix in India for my surgery. DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER SURGERY IN AUSTRALIA! Trust me when I say this. Their is LITERALLY no one in this country that can come close to the most average work on a Norwood 2/3 patient overseas in a hair mill. The so called 'leading surgeon's' here leave doubles in the hairline and are limited in the amount of grafts they can perform in surgery (so you often have to have two surgeries for a small area and therefore pay even more). As Melvin stated look at the surgeons listed on this forum and all the best. Are you taking anything like minoxidil or finasteride for your hair loss?

• Like 3

Definitely did well to arrive on the forum before making a decision. It’s a shame that Australia isn’t known for having any particular decent choices. You have been given some great advice above. Spend as much times as possible researching some of those options. 🙏

Edited by JC71
  • Like 2

Hey there, another Aussie here. I only know personally of two people that have had work done here in Australia for quite a lot of money and I have to say I wasn't impressed with their results. Albeit on talking to them it seems like they didn't do a whole lot of detailed research. I'm sure somewhere out there there are probably some good doctors but they just don't appear to be well known.

I know there is a dermatologist in Melbourne who was personally trained by Dr Bisanga (Belgium) who may be worth trying to contact, even then I can't find much on his actual hair transplants online. I'm seeing him on recommendation of Dr Bisanga for a consultation next month to assess my hair transplant candidacy and options (with the intention of eventually going to Bisanga in Belgium to this have the procedure).

There seems to be a decent chunk of Aussies on this forum that generally head to one of the forum recommended doctors in either Thailand or India given it's a little closer than the other popular countries. Personally my preference is Europe because I feel there are more examples of people having procedures with similar Caucasian hair to mine where I can see plenty of comparable cases, I imagine these doctor's would deal more frequently with my kind of hair. I think the large travel component is just a small inconvenience in what really is a life changing procedure.

Edited by Viney
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 2/10/2022 at 6:27 PM, GEazy said:

As a fellow Aussie I'd advise against going to any Australian clinics we just aren't on par with the rest of the world yet. Not saying there isn't the odd good result however for a similar price like Melvin said you can book in with a world esteemed doctor and have faith you've put yourself in the best possible position.

Is dr path a world esteemed doc? How about laorwong

On 2/11/2022 at 8:45 PM, Viney said:

Hey there, another Aussie here. I only know personally of two people that have had work done here in Australia for quite a lot of money and I have to say I wasn't impressed with their results. Albeit on talking to them it seems like they didn't do a whole lot of detailed research. I'm sure somewhere out there there are probably some good doctors but they just don't appear to be well known.

I know there is a dermatologist in Melbourne who was personally trained by Dr Bisanga (Belgium) who may be worth trying to contact, even then I can't find much on his actual hair transplants online. I'm seeing him on recommendation of Dr Bisanga for a consultation next month to assess my hair transplant candidacy and options (with the intention of eventually going to Bisanga in Belgium to this have the procedure).

There seems to be a decent chunk of Aussies on this forum that generally head to one of the forum recommended doctors in either Thailand or India given it's a little closer than the other popular countries. Personally my preference is Europe because I feel there are more examples of people having procedures with similar Caucasian hair to mine where I can see plenty of comparable cases, I imagine these doctor's would deal more frequently with my kind of hair. I think the large travel component is just a small inconvenience in what really is a life changing procedure.

I been looking into path and laorwong u feel they are not on the level of the Europeans?

6 minutes ago, Doood25 said:

I been looking into path and laorwong u feel they are not on the level of the Europeans?

I haven't researched enough of their work to know unfortunately so I'm not a good person to ask on this. Don't want to mislead you.