Should I even bother?

I recently tried to apply for finasteride at super drug but was declined by the doctor due to extent of hairloss. I was going to use fin x3 a week, minoxidil twice a day, derma roller twice a week with nizoral shampoo. I know I've left it late but was hoping for some results and after a year to 18 months get a transplant. Am I wasting my time fighting or should I just bite the bullet, shave it and get smp. Not end of the world. Least I'm still healthy lol

20220203_132320.jpg

You've lost a lot.  That said, everyone responds differently to drugs.  There are outlier cases where some people regain a lot of their lost hair on Fin/Min/Dermarolling.  You can't know until you try.  As for your doctor, he's an idiot, I'd get another one if he won't prescribe you Fin.

Check out my journey here:

5 minutes ago, Fue3361 said:

You've lost a lot.  That said, everyone responds differently to drugs.  There are outlier cases where some people regain a lot of their lost hair on Fin/Min/Dermarolling.  You can't know until you try.  As for your doctor, he's an idiot, I'd get another one if he won't prescribe you Fin.

That pic makes it look a lot worse. I know it's pretty bad but the lighting didn't help. Sent another pic and they've authorised it now. They said the side effects outweighed the positive. I must admit I've been reluctant to try it with all scare mongering out there. Know most are bs but some will be true. Thing is apart from crown there is actually a full head of hair there. They've just really thinned and lightened. I was hoping that combination would make them fuller and darker. 

Here's another pic from front where it doesn't look as bad. 

20220203_140843.jpg

• Administrators

Using medication is not a waste of time. But medication is primarily to maintain hair, obviously the benefits will be minimal if you are a Norwood 6, but still beneficial if you're not getting any side effects. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

4 hours ago, Sean315 said:

I recently tried to apply for finasteride at super drug but was declined by the doctor due to extent of hairloss. I was going to use fin x3 a week, minoxidil twice a day, derma roller twice a week with nizoral shampoo. I know I've left it late but was hoping for some results and after a year to 18 months get a transplant. Am I wasting my time fighting or should I just bite the bullet, shave it and get smp. Not end of the world. Least I'm still healthy lol

20220203_132320.jpg

Where are you from? You mentioned Superdrug. Are you in the UK? 

23 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

Where are you from? You mentioned Superdrug. Are you in the UK? 

Yes the UK. I sent another pic where it didn't look as bad and they've said they'll authorise it now. I've just shaved my head and it doesn't actually look too bad at all. But still rather try save my hair. Just bit of a put down when they said the positives wouldn't outweigh the side effects and thinking is it worth it with the finasteride. It looks like it could be saved as there's still hair, just thin

20220203_140843.jpg

3 hours ago, Sean315 said:

Yes the UK. I sent another pic where it didn't look as bad and they've said they'll authorise it now. I've just shaved my head and it doesn't actually look too bad at all. But still rather try save my hair. Just bit of a put down when they said the positives wouldn't outweigh the side effects and thinking is it worth it with the finasteride. It looks like it could be saved as there's still hair, just thin

20220203_140843.jpg

Superdrug probably don't have great knowledgeable staff. I ordered from Oxford Pharmacy without issues and went straight to Dutasteride 

How much did you pay for your Finasteride?