Would an FUE HT be a viable option for me?

Hello!

I've recently started looking into getting an HT as hair loss has been taking a greater toll on my self-confidence lately. I've started reaching out to HT surgeons in the US and Turkey. I would really appreciate your opinions on whether I'm a candidate for a HT.

1. Balding does run in the family for me. Two of my uncles on my mother's side of the family are NW7.
  2. I am 29 years old and have observed my hairline receding and balding in my crown area over the last 10 years. It seems like most of the hair loss occurred in my early 20s. Obviously the crown hair is gone, but I haven't observed my front hairline receding much at all in the last few years.
  3. I have utilized 5% minoxidil for 6mo/1yr periods several times in the last 7 years, along with topical finasteride. Though neither of these have led to any observable improvement in hair growth or retainment.
  4. I spoke with several hair surgeons in LA last year. Dr. Behnam (who prescribed topical finasteride), said I likely didn't have enough donors. Others, (Dr. Dauer, Dr Kahen) did suggest FUE HTs with 2200 and 2800 grafts respectively.

Thank you! 

IMG-8416.thumb.jpg.e8732a2e209c47e0b7015338615e750a.jpgIMG-8422.thumb.jpg.7782e1f6aed550831e3bd1704b32a0b1.jpg986263410_IMG-8374(1).thumb.jpg.8ac7bddaa492ba3f8f5181dd09ef59c5.jpg1308591004_IMG-8375(1).thumb.jpg.fcd8219809c460bf3397adcda794526c.jpgIMG-8428.thumb.jpg.a333a0ec099420737e58d193274e9b18.jpg

IMG-8435.jpg

IMG-8438.jpg

it looks like you have more than enough hair to have the two HT for sure, the only thing I would personally worry about is how stable is your hair loss? for me I had mega aggressive hair loss and pretty much full NW6 by early 20s and really since 25 onwards have seen very minimal movement in my advance hair loss, so this is a big thing I would bear in mind

I think you could get FUE, but your hair loss looks to be in an advanced pattern and FUE could compromise donor availability if you need future touchups or need to cover other areas of your head. You need to be careful on choosing a consistent doctor so your grafts don’t go to waste. It also looks like you have good beard hair to get grafts from if that ever becomes a necessity.

I can't speak for how effective the topical Finasteride you're using is, but have you considered switching to an oral Finasteride? 

You look like you have got decent strong temples and donor area, so the focus would be the crown, midscalp and rebuilding a frontal hairline. 

Edited by NARMAK
Spelling

Qtryk,

In looking at your photos, you seem to have pretty extensive thinning/baldness and your donor area does look quite sparse.  To be honest, I’m not sure based on your photos that you are a good candidate for surgical hair restoration. That said, if you would like a more formal consultation, feel free to contact me privately and I can get this set up for you.  At the end of the day, even if it’s decided that you are a candidate, you’re going to have to set very realistic goals in terms of what can be achieved. You’ll never be able to restore a full head of hair and in my opinion, Yahweh focus should be in restoring a conservative, natural looking hairline with a gradual fade into the scalp midsection. You will likely not be able to restore any hair in the crown.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

12 minutes ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

Qtryk,

In looking at your photos, you seem to have pretty extensive thinning/baldness and your donor area does look quite sparse.  To be honest, I’m not sure based on your photos that you are a good candidate for surgical hair restoration. That said, if you would like a more formal consultation, feel free to contact me privately and I can get this set up for you.  At the end of the day, even if it’s decided that you are a candidate, you’re going to have to set very realistic goals in terms of what can be achieved. You’ll never be able to restore a full head of hair and in my opinion, Yahweh focus should be in restoring a conservative, natural looking hairline with a gradual fade into the scalp midsection. You will likely not be able to restore any hair in the crown.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

I just realised, OP never posted a fully direct picture of his donor area. He simply bunched his hair into a pony tail. 

The spare looking thing actually is the midscalp and crown photo where he's combed his hair forwards.

Not sure if that makes a difference.