2000 grafts via fue????

propaNe

Hello to all,

I recently recieved an online consultation from a doctor that had recommended 2000 grafts via fue.

This would be my first transplant, i'm a norwood 4 -5, and am 33 years old.

After reading some information about fue I'm a bit curious how a doctor can do 2000 grafts via fue. I thought for a standard fue procedure the max a doctor could yeild in one session would be around 800 grafts.

If anyone has any comments to this post it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm very close to considering a transplant and one of my main concerns is the scarring left from the procedure. I would like to have the ability to shave my head in the future.

Thank you,

Hello to all,

I recently recieved an online consultation from a doctor that had recommended 2000 grafts via fue.

This would be my first transplant, i'm a norwood 4 -5, and am 33 years old.

After reading some information about fue I'm a bit curious how a doctor can do 2000 grafts via fue. I thought for a standard fue procedure the max a doctor could yeild in one session would be around 800 grafts.

If anyone has any comments to this post it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm very close to considering a transplant and one of my main concerns is the scarring left from the procedure. I would like to have the ability to shave my head in the future.

Thank you,

Depends on the doc...also, note that being a NW "4-5", 2k grafts isn't a terribly large chunk of change....so, getting impeccable yield would be all the more vital, which is the primary drawback of FUE....

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

I am as big of an FUE fan is there is out there among HT doctors. I jumped right into since 2002 and have been performing it and improving on it since. I have also been trying to strip away the hype surrounding it by educating the public as to the REALITIES of FUE procedures.

Large FUE sessions should really be reserved for patients who are stripped out (that is, not capable of having any more strip surgery), or patients who ABSOLUTELY don't want strip surgery under ANY circumstances.

For those in the latter catagory they must understand that FUE does indeed leave scarring in the donor area. It is NOT a linear scar and as such is not nearly as visible and noticable, but it must be stressed that it DOES LEAVE SCARRING. In fact it leaves MORE scarring than strip surgery of the same size but because the scarring is distributed over a wider area as opposed to being concentrated along one line it is often LESS noticable. I have never seen obvious FUE scarring on a patient who wears his hair as low as a number 2 buzz in the donor area, so if that's your goal, then FUE is a viable option. If you go below a number 2 buzz, some of the scarring may become noticable depending on the angle that light hits it.

Another thing for those in the latter catagory to remember is that FUE procedures very often produce lower yields than comparable sized strip procedures. This is due to the increased handling of the grafts during the extraction process. While great results can and have been reported, they have not been nearly as consistent as results from strip surgery has been.

Again, if you are someone who absolutely doesn't want strip surgery under any circumstances, then FUE is a great choice AS LONG AS YOU ARE AWARE OF THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE TWO PROCEDURES.

One more thing, getting FUE surgery now does NOT preclude a strip in the future if it is needed or visa versa.

Let's keep FUE open, honest, and transparent. As long as the patient is FULLY informed, then everything should be a go.

Dr. Feller

Dr Feller,

re: your comment..."One more thing, getting FUE surgery now does NOT preclude a strip in the future if it is needed or visa versa."

Would the large donor surface area used in FUE compromise the graft yield if strip was to be used later on?

Would it be more prudent & ideal to have strip procedure(s) before FUE if a patient intends to use both methods?

• 5 weeks later...
I have also been trying to STRIP away the hype surrounding it by educating the public as to the REALITIES of FUE procedures.

nice pun strip away , couldnt stop laughing,

Dr. Feller,

Your comment about fue not precluding a strip in the future. Can you elaborate on that? How many fue grafts can you harvest before limiting your option of having a strip procedure in the future?

This sounds like a great option for people like myself who only need frontal 1/3rd work, but want to keep the door open for strip surgery in the future in the event of future hairloss.