Your advice needed, had FUE and SMP in the past. Where to go from here?

Hello everybody,

I have been reading on this forum for a while, thanks for all the good info. This will be my first post here:

I am 42 years old and I started balding in my early twenties (unfortunately that fast), I had a FUE hair transplant in 2008 when I was 28. 1600 grafts where placed in front of my head and coves to restore my receding hairline. During that time I was on medication (finasteride) but I stopped taking that in my early thirties because of side effects.

Since I stopped the medication my hairloss kept proceeding and I decided to do something about it in my late thirties. I contacted some clinics and asked for some price offers. Some said that my donor area was not enough for a second transplant others would say it was no problem. Although I have a limited donor area, what is in my advantage I think is that I have very thick hair.

Since I have been wearing my hair for years as a buzzcut I started looking into SMP. This is what I choice in 2019. Though I am satisfied with the result and it looks great on me, I sometimes regret that I cannot grow out my hear longer. Also people still think that you are bald when you always cut your hair that short 🙂

That's why I am thinking now of doing a 2nd FUE transplant to add some density and improve the 3d effect on my hair.

So that is why I am looking for different options now, what do you guys think, could you give me some advice?

Below I will post some pictures.

Krgds,

My hair situation in 2019 right before the SMP procedure (I am especially thining on the crown and I need additional hair in the front to add density) :

top.thumb.jpg.0368caa05f76331d22e2b112f9b5b9e4.jpg

front.jpg.3d8b0a66cd95573f21d695aab5374825.jpg

Donor area:

1917054208_dar.thumb.jpg.2d49df5ed90154a48b47476f82ea4158.jpg

379739057_dar3.thumb.jpg.5a0d1a13a055e2928826021794bb70b1.jpg

530410346_dar2.jpg.717a7725f582aaa7e4e052d8d0b9f3d5.jpg

My hair how it is now after SMP:

smp1.thumb.jpg.aadfa93bf0d94d61ff5bacf2ab5d1b44.jpg

smp2.thumb.jpg.de619c3cb383a7654c7f9841f11c3666.jpg

Where to go from here ultimately depends on your goals.  If you want more hair then you may want to consider undergoing another FUE procedure with a reputable surgeon.  But please plan for the long term. Most patients aren’t done in one procedure and sometimes require multiple procedures to meet their goals. This should be discussed with your hair surgeon before even undergoing another procedure.  That way you know exactly what to expect and what it will take to meet your goals.

best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant. 

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

I have a few questions (and concerns) when I read your post.  So, you have not done any type of medical therapy for the last 12 years? Propecia is now available as a topical solution.  There is also Rogaine, PRP and Laser.  These are the modalities we typically refer to when dealing with this condition.  The latter are external to you.  Please consider them. It is important to recognize, if you've shown the propensity to lose, you will continue losing.  

You indicated your hair does no longer grow? Pls clarify.  

Sure the SMP looked good! You added transplants and this added a dimension to the mix.  Doing it again might be a good idea - in addition to whatever you decide to do.  It will minimize the contrast and give the illusion of more density. 

Your hair seems to be long enough but still does not cover, (the donor).  This may be confusing doctors and that's why some are approving your candidacy while others are not.  I would suggest you let your hair grow a good month just to confirm you are not experiencing global thinning.  This will dictate how to proceed.

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

I stopped using finasteride 10 years ago. But I have been using minoxidil until 3 years back. I stopped that because it did not have much result and I buzzcut my hair always short. My hair still grows, but when I grow it longer you can really see that it is thinning on my crown.

I have read about propecia topical solution but I haven't tried it yet. But a small dose will also get into the blood I have read. Finasteride really spooked me out because of the side effects.

I did not consider PRP or laser yet. In my opinion there are not so many proven results about the last two...