Shaving head after fue?

Hey guys! I know this is probably a silly question, but when is it usually safe to shave my recipient area post fue? Obviously scabs are long gone since I’m 4 months since surgery, but my doctors notes say don’t take a razor to it for 6 months. That’s seems excessive to me. Any input?

It's usually a good idea to wait about a week to 10 days before trimming the transplanted hairs.  This will give the follicles ample time to take root and the scabs to work their way off.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

6 months definitely seems excessive if you're talking about buzzing the area with clippers. If you're talking about taking an actual razor to the recipient area, 6 months still seems excessive to me, but I suppose understandable why they would be conservative. At 4 months post-op, your grafts are anchored and secure, and the only thing you wanna be mindful of is not to irritate the scalp.

It's always best to follow the surgeon's guidelines, but I know how frustrating this can be because every surgeon has different rules for this sort of thing and it makes it hard to know what the best advice is. Personally, I would be hesitant to take an actual razor to the area, but that's just me. My scalp was/is sensitive, so I wouldn't want to risk irritating it. (And no judgment, but I don't see any benefit to doing that either... ;) 

For what it's worth, I actually did buzz mine with clippers just 10 days post-op and had no issues. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

On 12/31/2021 at 2:29 PM, pkipling said:

6 months definitely seems excessive if you're talking about buzzing the area with clippers. If you're talking about taking an actual razor to the recipient area, 6 months still seems excessive to me, but I suppose understandable why they would be conservative. At 4 months post-op, your grafts are anchored and secure, and the only thing you wanna be mindful of is not to irritate the scalp.

It's always best to follow the surgeon's guidelines, but I know how frustrating this can be because every surgeon has different rules for this sort of thing and it makes it hard to know what the best advice is. Personally, I would be hesitant to take an actual razor to the area, but that's just me. My scalp was/is sensitive, so I wouldn't want to risk irritating it. (And no judgment, but I don't see any benefit to doing that either... ;) 

For what it's worth, I actually did buzz mine with clippers just 10 days post-op and had no issues. 

Thanks! Yeah, I should have been more clear, I meant using a clipper not a razor. Okay great, that definitely sets you mind at ease.

On 1/2/2022 at 1:33 PM, Timd922 said:

Thanks! Yeah, I should have been more clear, I meant using a clipper not a razor. Okay great, that definitely sets you mind at ease.

Ok then yeah - I don't see any risk at all using clippers at this stage, and you'll find many surgeons who would tell you that it's safe to do that. 

And a bit relieved you misspoke about the razor because that definitely seemed excessive. Lol. ;)

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I'm almost at four months and at month one I used a derma pen at 1mm on the recipient area without knowing I wasn't meant to.
Hair seems to be growing just fine though so I can't imagine why a razor would do any harm.
How is your hair transplant looking?

image.png.492063d758824771bbf39022133cd00c.png

Edited by SeanToman