The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten

This applies to just about anything....But so true in the Hair Restoration Industry.  When we say, "Do the research" what would you suggest to a patient?

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

I agree people need to do research and not have price be a deciding factor. But think about where you were when you were brand new to the hair transplant world and barely knew anything about it. You more or less have 2 paths to go on:

Option 1) -Get on a 6 month to 1 yr waitlist

-You need to fly to a different state or even different country to see one of the top pros

-You may have never imagined in your wildest dreams you would have a medical procedure outside of the United States, but all these internet strangers are telling you you need to go to Turkey, Spain, Portugal, India, etc. for a significant surgery. 

-10k-20k total cost

Option 2) -Go to your local plastic surgeon who offers HT's on the side

-He can operate on you in in 3 months or less

-5-10k cost total

When you are brand new to the HT industry, you very well may think a Hair Transplant is simply copy/pasting hair from the back of your head to the front. Any doctor can do it, right?

There will never be a shortage of HT horror stories, because there will always be desperate balding new guys who don't have the knowledge, and Option #2 is so tempting if you think a hair transplant is a simple procedure. Especially when you don't understand the risks or complexities of a hair transplant. 

Edited by SadMan2021
  • Like 1

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, SadMan2021 said:

When you are brand new to the HT industry, you very well may think a Hair Transplant is simply copy/pasting hair from the back of your head to the front. Any doctor can do it, right?

Unfortunately there are a lot of people who think that way. It's hard to blame them though since for the past 10 years or more FUE has been marketed as a scarless and non surgical procedure, so of course that makes you think it's not a big deal and you can have it done anywhere and if it doesn't work out, oh well, just shave your head like you were going to do if you didn't get the hair transplant. That's also why they look for the cheapest place. Why spend so much money and then if you're not happy you will just shave it anyway. All of that is wrong thinking, but with the way it's marketed, that's the message people have been getting.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Many prospective patients end up choosing a hair transplant clinic based strictly on location and price when those are in fact the last criteria that should be used in determining who to go to. In fact, prospective patients should always consider traveling and undergoing surgery with a clinic that has a proven track record of producing outstanding results consistently, even if they are more expensive than a local, less expensive clinic that doesn’t have a stellar reputation.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

The sad thing is that Hair Mills have some good results also.  And even if half their results are butchered jobs, people will still look at the louder success stories and say "I know john/alex/whoever that went there and he looks great.  He paid 2500 USD for hotel, food and procedure.  I'm gonna book my stay tomorrow".

Check out my journey here: