I hate the ugly duggling phase-GOD PLEASE LET SOMEONE COME UP WITH A SOLUTION-DR's innovate a solution

Money is not a problem

Traveling to another country is not a problem

Finding a good clinic is not a problem

Taking 10 days off is not a problem

THE DAM PROBLEM IS THE UGLY DUGGLING PHASE

that lasts at least 6 months, till you look normal again, if not more....

Please god I hope to wake up one day and read news about an invention that the transplanted hair would not fall off after a ht surgery. Or that some genius person would be able to offer a solution to this problem ( don't mention wearing a hat )

I can't wear hats to work

I can't imagine how awful it would look having hair on the top, and then have the newly transplanted hair buzzing out from the front. Dam this is a struggle to me!!!

Doctors, please find us s solution, I think the only logical way is that some genius would find a way for the newly transplanted hairs to not fall off, by that we can be encouraged to buzz the hairs, since at least we would still retain a frontal frame immediately after surgery.

Guys what do you think?

Money is not a problem

Traveling to another country is not a problem

Finding a good clinic is not a problem

Taking 10 days off is not a problem

THE DAM PROBLEM IS THE UGLY DUGGLING PHASE

that lasts at least 6 months, till you look normal again, if not more....

Please god I hope to wake up one day and read news about an invention that the transplanted hair would not fall off after a ht surgery. Or that some genius person would be able to offer a solution to this problem ( don't mention wearing a hat )

I can't wear hats to work

I can't imagine how awful it would look having hair on the top, and then have the newly transplanted hair buzzing out from the front. Dam this is a struggle to me!!!

Doctors, please find us s solution, I think the only logical way is that some genius would find a way for the newly transplanted hairs to not fall off, by that we can be encouraged to buzz the hairs, since at least we would still retain a frontal frame immediately after surgery.

Guys what do you think?

i totally hear you bro , 7 weeks for me and looking worse than ever , considerable shock loss, transplanted hairs also fallen out , is quite hard to have faith that anything good will come of this , but .... hopefully in 8 months time i'll be a happy camper.

Hey

I feel your pain. Today is the three month mark for me. Some transplanted hair still there but tons of my native hair on top also fell out. No way to hide this mess without people saying what the hell happened. Look way worse now than before I went in for the HT. This stage is brutal I hear you!!! Hint don't look at peoples before and after pics that makes it worse especially those starting to grow hair at three months they are just lucky.

yskhleif,

I can certainly understand your frustration.

My first two hair transplant were very depressing the first couple months, especially since I looked worse than before surgery. In fact, 1.5 months after the second surgery, I looked worst than before my first surgery - so I was really concerned.

Sometimes head knowledge isn't even enough to get you through the emotional hardship of seeing major donor and recipient area shock loss. We can know it's temporary but looking in the mirror can be depressing.

All I can say is hang in there and use this community for support. Many of us have been there.

As for a solution, I haven't heard any doctors show any compelling evidence that they have one. I haven't even heard many doctors talk about it.

Maybe there will be a solution eventually. But for now, try to keep your eye on the ball and think long term.

Best wishes and Happy Holidays,

Bill

It does suck, the doldrums phase!! And it really seems to carry on and there really is nothing we can do but wait. At about three months, I am pretty much back to pre-HT, and trust me that is a long time.

Unfortunately the hat becomes your friend...work-wise, there is not much one can do but try to hide away as much as possible.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

I do agree that it takes about 6 months to see some growth. However, I think your opinion about the six months of ugly duckling phase do not apply to most patients.

I am at the one month post-op mark, and i am pretty much at the same state as before HT. I do have some shock loss at the donor but it is covered by the hair. If you are not required to shave, you will probably look exactly as before HT when your transplanted hairs shed and that the scabs are gone, which is likely between 10 and 20 days post-op. Even if you are required to shave, you will probably look similar to pre-op by the 2 month mark at the latest.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Just from you guys having been on this board for awhile what percentage of HT patients would you say lost a good deal of native hair in the recipient area? I'm in a business that will require me to take promo photos in a couple of months, and without a hat (toppik, toppik, and more toppik and hopefully favorable lighting!). I'm trying to push this back as much as possible but the time frame isn't exactly up to me. Dr Arocha seems to have had good success at avoiding shockloss and transection in his patients but I realize this can also be due to the individual patients own reaction to the surgery.

what percentage of HT patients would you say lost a good deal of native hair in the recipient area?

I've asked that same question, without response. Suffice it to say, 10 to 30% of the transplanted hair will be lost.

take care...

mmhce- it's a tough question to answer as I had a little bit of my forelock left and the transplnated hair went in all of my front two-thirds. When it grows in, I assume it will be a little of both native and transplanted hairs. At some point though, I assume that the native hair will disappear but the transplanted hair will make up for that loss.

That is why I really feel that guys at a NW2 or NW1 should stay away from HTs as the area transplanted is small and there is greater chance of more native hair loss. As a higher NW, I have less native hair to lose in the recipient area.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Originally posted by mmhce:

I've asked that same question, without response. Suffice it to say, 10 to 30% of the transplanted hair will be lost.

mmhce:

you meant native hair lost? As Eman said, it is hard to know how many native hairs are lost. They may shed due to shock loss and may grow back.

In general, most transplanted hairs will shed and grow back starting around 3 month mark.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley