Peer reviewed paper by Dr Umar Sanusi on his experience with body hair transplants

2 hours ago, bald-and-bearded said:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5070467/

It reports low transection rates of 5% from the beard area and 10% from the chest, abdominal areas. I couldn't find a number for other areas. It attributes a part of the success to the tools used (UGraft, UPunch).

I wonder if it would be any different if it was carried out now. In the last 5+ years I believe those figures could be even better. 

Interesting. Who are the best surgeons for body hair transplants? You don't see many examples unfortunately. He is likely one of the best and that probably explains his low transection rates. 

• Like 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

Unfortunately there are not enough patient experiences of this doctor on this forum. He has some reviews on other websites and they are somewhat mixed.

1 hour ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

He is likely one of the best and that probably explains his low transection rates. 

Yeah unless the data isn't completely truthful, either that or it's the tools his team uses.

• 2 months later...
On 11/7/2021 at 3:36 AM, bald-and-bearded said:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5070467/

It reports low transection rates of 5% from the beard area and 10% from the chest, abdominal areas. I couldn't find a number for other areas. It attributes a part of the success to the tools used (UGraft, UPunch).

It appears that data was from a sample of 122 patients from 2005 to 2011.  The hand tool referenced was the UPunch Rotor, which must be an earlier generation of what's now the uGraft.  Since the latter was designed to improve the extraction of body donors and afro hair, transection should be improved since the time of the study.

When I had limb hairs used to add density to my thinning nape area, this is what was used.  The skin on the arm and back is harder to get through, but in my case it appeared the grafts were able to survive the transplant.  My nape has greying hairs and I can see where the dark body hairs are growing out in contrast.

An interesting detail from the article, at least at the time of the study, 45% of the patients coming to the practice for hair restoration were receiving BHT's. 

Edited by AB2000