Thailand - Dr Path or Dr Laorwong for natural looking hairline?

Aussie here, I can't believe the borders are open. I was losing hope 🤣

I am looking at traveling, preferably not too far, to get my first hair transplant. Looking at Dr Path and Dr Laorwong in Thailand right now (open to considering other places).

I have a NW3-ish hairline. Dark hair, medium gauge, curly and high contrast. I have done consultations with both and they both said around 2000 to 2300 for the hairline itself.

image.png.4816234ba781c66cb128fe56af551a2c.pngimage.png.9d0c5138ee8766b0a619d6654c40f6b0.png

They both have lots of examples online and plenty of testimonials and I feel like both would do a great job.

My question is, who do you think has better hairline artistry in cases like mine?

Edited by _lshy

4 hours ago, _lshy said:

Aussie here, I can't believe the borders are open. I was losing hope 🤣

I am looking at traveling, preferably not too far, to get my first hair transplant. Looking at Dr Path and Dr Laorwong in Thailand right now (open to considering other places).

I have a NW3-ish hairline. Dark hair, medium gauge, curly and high contrast. I have done consultations with both and they both said around 2000 to 2300 for the hairline itself.

image.png.4816234ba781c66cb128fe56af551a2c.pngimage.png.9d0c5138ee8766b0a619d6654c40f6b0.png

They both have lots of examples online and plenty of testimonials and I feel like both would do a great job.

My question is, who do you think has better hairline artistry in cases like mine?

Its just a matter of taste, you have chosen two great options. The better reason is who YOU feel has the best results?

• Like 1

Hello, I just had a surgery done by Dr. Laorwong yesterday and have been very happy with the experience. I just posted pictures on the reviews page if you would like to see them. Please let me know if you have any questions I am still in Bangkok now receiving post treatment.

• Like 2

Thanks for adding your report. Dr. Laorwong seems like an excellent surgeon and the overall package is very compelling! How much is accomodation and how did you pick a place to stay? Just an AirBnB?

• 2 weeks later...

Feeling nervous, excited and kind of in disbelief. After so many years, I can't believe this is happening.

I've seen a few posts where people who have a similar starting point to me aren't too happy with the density of their results at 12 months (with Dr Path) but they have great looking hairline designs and that's nothing a follow up procedure in 18 months won't sort. I really want to be satisfied by the results of the first op as I only want my hairline done - but mentally prepared if it's sub par.

Dr Path does not offer a guarantee on the procedure and informed me to expect a graft survival rate of at least 80% - but likely higher, depending on the person and procedure type.

I'm thinking about getting the procedure done as FUT. I understand that graft survival can be higher, density can be better and there will be more donor hair for future operations with the strip method.

Getting the Thai travel pass was a pretty wild ride. You have to book your flights, your hotel and COVID tests - then apply for the pass using the most janky website on Earth. If they decline the pass they don't say why - thankfully mine was approved.

I'll post up a report on what my progress looks like - hopefully helping others on their journey.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

Congratulations @_lshy! It's only natural to have all sorts of gremlins running around in the mind once you have committed. You will start to have thoughts like 'maybe' I should cancel? Maybe my hair's not that bad? Maybe my donor is not enough (or maybe I'm better off sticking with my SMP 😉)? These thoughts have been going though my mind and I know that my past (terrible) experiences are fueling this line of thinking. I'm as much as a repair case as I am a hair transplant candidate case so in many ways it's worse for me as I have the added advantage of experience and years of living with this under my belt. But once you have done your research patiently and thoroughly, have identified the right doctor and team for your hair loss needs and have established an excellent relationship with your surgeon then it simply becomes a final point where you just have to trust in the process. I wish you all the best and I look forward to your follow ups after your procedure. Take care my friend and thanks for sharing!

• Like 3

Just paid the deposit, need to take some blood tests for Hep-C and HIV which I have booked for tomorrow. That and so many PCR covid tests. I think by the time I return to Sydney I would have taken 4, maybe 5 PCR tests in the space of 8 days.

T minus 9 days until my flight

Edited by _lshy

Hello. I did hotel instead of abnb because at the time hotels had so many promotions it was much cheaper than usual prices. I think now there should still be promotions. For first the hotel I stayed at marriott courtyard around 50$ and then changed to millenium hilton because distance. It around 100$ per night but with membership I got suite upgrades.

Hi 

I also booked an appointment for transplant with Dr Kongkiat in December ..been thinking about a transplant for more than 6 years and finally made a decision to go ahead. Feeling very worried now and thinking what to expect . Are you going for the unshaven or shaven Fue

I am booked with Dr Pathomvanich and my surgery is in 4 days! Flight is tomorrow!

I am also very worried, but also excited. Both doctors are top quality and the thing you should focus on is what you want from your surgery. I got a makeup pencil and drew several hairlines over the course of a week, I wore hair systems and partial hair systems and tried to understand what I wanted to see from a HT.

I normally wear a short hairstyle and after a lot of thinking I decided to go with FUT (strip surgery).

Broadly, you can get the maximum number of grafts when combining FUT with FUE [1] - where you start off with FUT and once you have maximised the harvest available through scalp flexibility, you move to FUE to grab grafts from areas you otherwise wouldn't be able to access.

I chose FUT because it tends to have a better graft survival rate [2] so you can achieve greater densities while minimising graft wastage. I have 7000ish grafts in my donor. With FUT I can successfully transplant maybe 5000 or 6000 with FUE it will be closer to 4000.

In general, depending on age and other health factors, at densities of 40cm2, you can expect a graft survival rate of 80% [3].

The scar will be no wider than 2mm/3mm and if it's a problem, it can be almost entirely hidden with SMP or even a makeup pencil. I have thought a lot about if I would regret a linear scar, say in the case I decide to shave my hair entirely, and I would not regret it. As someone with a progressive hair loss condition, I don't have an expectation that I get to resolve it without any marks. Broadly, I don't care if people know I have had a hair transplant - I just want the best cosmetic result I can get.

EDIT: I also expect to need another surgery in 1.5 years to touch up the hairline and achieve the final density. I feel it's unreasonable to expect a perfect hairline density from one surgery as you don't know where grafts will grow and how the layering will look. 

[1] https://fellermedical.com/fut-vs-fue/
[2] https://www.ishrs-htforum.org/content/26/4/160#p-14
[3] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2956960/#sec2-6title

Edited by _lshy
  • Like 2

• Valued Contributor

@_lshywishing you all the best mate. It's only normal to be worried (I would be worried if you weren't). I'm another 6 weeks away from my surgery and I've still got a few Gremlins flying around in my head). Being an Aussie congratulations on your patience in choosing an excellent surgeon. You have everything to look forward to. Enjoy your post op recovery in BKK and if doesn't compromise your post op recovery you should have a look at Nanna Plaza while you are there!😉 I look forward to following your journey and thanks for sharing!

Thanks mate!

Sadly I am only staying in Bangkok for a week but on the plus side I get the the weekend before the surgery to myself. Monday is a public holiday so I will try my best not to get COVID before my surgery 😅

I am in BKK for only 4 days post op (surgery on Tuesday, flight back on Sunday 8am). I am a little worried I am staying too short a time, I might need to get stitches removed back in Sydney (I think that's a thing?).

Otherwise, I can't believe this is happening. It's very surreal, honestly.

I wonder if Nana Plaza is open, I hear a lot of the centers are closed due to COVID restrictions.

Edited by _lshy
  • Like 2

• Valued Contributor
8 minutes ago, _lshy said:

Thanks mate!

Sadly I am only staying in Bangkok for a week but on the plus side I get the the weekend before the surgery to myself. Monday is a public holiday so I will try my best not to get COVID before my surgery 😅

I am in BKK for only 4 days post op (surgery on Tuesday, flight back on Sunday 8am). I am a little worried I am staying too short a time, I might need to get stitches removed back in Sydney (I think that's a thing?).

Otherwise, I can't believe this is happening. It's very surreal, honestly.

I wonder if Nana Plaza is open, I hear a lot of the centers are closed due to COVID restrictions.

In all honesty I'd give Nanna a wide birth for more than risking just Covid! 😆 Discuss all your concerns about having the stitches removed, time frames, etc with the surgeon or the rep (you could email them now). One thing from all the years of butchered transplants and surgical repairs and scarring is never feel that you are imposing when it comes to questions. You're not being rude. You're the one who is paying and never forget that. Part of what you are paying for is all the information you need to put your mind at ease about any and every concern that you have about your surgery. But you will be fine and again wishing you all the best!

• Thanks 1

Landed in Bangkok last night. I cleared quarantine - staying in Siam district. What an awesome city, the food is so cheap and everyone is so friendly. Gonna hit up the markets tonight.

I have my surgery on Tuesday, so T minus 2 days (haha - s**t, f**k, I can't believe I am doing this)

• Like 3

Can I ask for why the choice for Thailand? Is it a price or convenience thing due to it being close or based on your research you think it will yield good results?

Hope this doesn't come across as criticism but I think if I told most people I was going to Thailand for a hair transplant they would be concerned.

Edited by Viney

Both convenience and quality.

It's strange because I too don't associate Thailand with hair transplant surgeries, but Dr Pathomvanich has been endorsed by surgeons like Dr Bloxham (on this forum) and has lots of great looking results in his testimonial bank.

Speaking with Dr P, he cites studies (something appealing to me) and references his own case reports where he corroborates what I have found digging independently through medical journals on the various subjects.

I can also fly back to Thailand with relative ease for touch up surgeries, something important because a large portion of surgeries don't get it 100% on the first try.

With that in mind, I don't have certainty that the results will be as good as a clinic like H&W, HLC, etc; but I know it will at least be upper percentile

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, _lshy said:

Landed in Bangkok last night. I cleared quarantine - staying in Siam district. What an awesome city, the food is so cheap and everyone is so friendly. Gonna hit up the markets tonight.

I have my surgery on Tuesday, so T minus 2 days (haha - s**t, f**k, I can't believe I am doing this)

Exciting times 🤩 glad your ok and on the verge of getting your transplant done 👍🏽

• Like 1