Taking oral minoxidil temporarily pre and post transplant

Is there a general consensus for what the dosage should be, if someone was using 5% topical minoxidil twice daily beforehand.

The reason being, topical should be stopped about a week before and a week and more pre and post transplant. But to not trigger a telogen effluvium from stopping minoxidil, taking a small dosage of oral in the meantime might be a good idea.

Would 1.25mg daily be considered to "hold the fort" so to speak, or maybe 2.5mg total (1.25mg morning and 1.25mg evening)?

• Administrators

I think you’d be fine with 1.25 mg for sure, it’s actually stronger than 5% twice daily.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I think you’d be fine with 1.25 mg for sure, it’s actually stronger than 5% twice daily.

So 1.25mg daily?

I think in the US you can get 5mg pills through online pharmacies, so cutting those into 4ths could be doable if I'm not mistaken.

• Administrators
49 minutes ago, asterix0 said:

So 1.25mg daily?

I think in the US you can get 5mg pills through online pharmacies, so cutting those into 4ths could be doable if I'm not mistaken.

Yup that’s what I do

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 10/17/2021 at 9:32 AM, asterix0 said:

Is there a general consensus for what the dosage should be, if someone was using 5% topical minoxidil twice daily beforehand.

The reason being, topical should be stopped about a week before and a week and more pre and post transplant. But to not trigger a telogen effluvium from stopping minoxidil, taking a small dosage of oral in the meantime might be a good idea.

Would 1.25mg daily be considered to "hold the fort" so to speak, or maybe 2.5mg total (1.25mg morning and 1.25mg evening)?

How long have you been using 5% topical minox twice daily?

How have your results been?