Shapiro Medical Group (SMG) Wait Time

Just now, PluggedIn said:

I actually haven't heard from them since the surgery 4.5 months ago. I asked them for a breakdown of the grafts which they gave me and told me their consultant would be in contact next week. Haven't reached out to me yet. I'm sure if I had a concern they would address it promptly, but the lack of communication afterwards was a bit disappointing. It was one of the reasons I stayed in the states. Oh well, it's the results that matter, I seem to be maybe slightly ahead of schedule at this point. In their defense they mentioned they were very busy.

Surprised, they are normally very good. But yes ultimately results matter too 👌

2 hours ago, JohnAC71 said:

Surprised, they are normally very good. But yes ultimately results matter too 👌

Wasn't too impressed with their consultant either. I actually thought about canceling a few times because he didn't seem to be attentive enough to my needs, he was a nice guy though, came in to check on me during the op, so feel bad kind of trashing him. I did the surgery because their hairline design is incredibly natural, very soft with subtle irregularities, and they have a great reputation. 

Edited by PluggedIn

12 hours ago, PluggedIn said:

I actually haven't heard from them since the surgery 4.5 months ago. I asked them for a breakdown of the grafts which they gave me and told me their consultant would be in contact next week. Haven't reached out to me yet. I'm sure if I had a concern they would address it promptly, but the lack of communication afterwards was a bit disappointing. It was one of the reasons I stayed in the states. Oh well, it's the results that matter, I seem to be maybe slightly ahead of schedule at this point. In their defense they mentioned they were very busy.

I got my graft count a couple days after I requested them. Additionally, Shapiro emailed me surgery photos and pre-op photos about 3 - 4 weeks later. My assumption is that they are getting super busy as more people are traveling now since Covid is waning. More patients and more volume for the clinic. Apparently lots of Vikings players also go to SMG since they are so close. Anyhoo, I would call the receptionist again and remind them you have been waiting for 4 months and would like the official count if possible. 

Wasn't too impressed with their consultant either. I actually thought about canceling a few times because he didn't seem to be attentive enough to my needs, he was a nice guy though, came in to check on me during the op, so feel bad kind of trashing him. I did the surgery because their hairline design is incredibly natural, very soft with subtle irregularities, and they have a great reputation. 

Odd, as the consultant was super attentive to me and coached me many hours... I just think they are getting way too busy now and have much more volume in patients at this point in time. I am glad your transplant is going well though and look forward to more updates.

Edited by hybonix
  • Like 1

1st Procedure: 3332 FUE Grafts | Shapiro Medical Group | 10.29.20
2nd Procedure: 1908 FUE Grafts | Shapiro Medical Group | 11.13.23

55 minutes ago, hybonix said:

I got my graft count a couple days after I requested them. Additionally, Shapiro emailed me surgery photos and pre-op photos about 3 - 4 weeks later. My assumption is that they are getting super busy as more people are traveling now since Covid is waning. More patients and more volume for the clinic. Apparently lots of Vikings players also go to SMG since they are so close. Anyhoo, I would call the receptionist again and remind them you have been waiting for 4 months and would like the official count if possible. 

Odd, as the consultant was super attentive to me and coached me many hours... I just think they are getting way too busy now and have much more volume in patients at this point in time. I am glad your transplant is going well though and look forward to more updates.

Maybe they were so attentive to you they forgot about lil old me :(

JK, but I should clarify they did give me the graft count, then they said they'd contact me, which they haven't. I'm not too concerned about it I think you could just chalk it up to being very busy. So far I'm glad I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Balding Bad said:

Oh wow, sorry to hear about your lack of better customer service...but I guess ultimately in the end, the hairline results is what matters most!

I think this communication situation is more a fluke than the norm. I actually like the results so much, at least so far, I'm thinking about going back sooner than I thought lol! I've been falling in love with myself in the mirror the last few days 😍

• Like 1

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Balding Bad said:

Oh wow, sorry to hear about your lack of better customer service...but I guess ultimately in the end, the hairline results is what matters most!

It’s the first I hear of customer service issue at SMG, it’s really a top-notch facility and Dr. Ron and Dr. Josephitis are both fantastic surgeons and people.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

5 hours ago, PluggedIn said:

I think this communication situation is more a fluke than the norm. I actually like the results so much, at least so far, I'm thinking about going back sooner than I thought lol! I've been falling in love with myself in the mirror the last few days 😍

When did you get your operation and how many grafts did you get? Aside from the communication snafu, how was the overall experience for you?

29 minutes ago, Balding Bad said:

When did you get your operation and how many grafts did you get? Aside from the communication snafu, how was the overall experience for you?

Here's my thread with more details, but overall it was great. Dr. Joe and I were really in sync about pretty much everything from hairline design to future planning, it was a natural fit. Dr. Ron was nice too, came in to see me to check on everything the next day when I was back for a wash. At this early stage I'm very happy I went there.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PluggedIn said:

Here's my thread with more details, but overall it was great. Dr. Joe and I were really in sync about pretty much everything from hairline design to future planning, it was a natural fit. Dr. Ron was nice too, came in to see me to check on everything the next day when I was back for a wash. At this early stage I'm very happy I went there.

Awesome, thanks for sharing. I'll be sure to comb through your thread! (pun intended) 😜

EDIT: Oh, you know what? I've actually gone through your thread already. Haha, how 'bout that! Your progress is looking great by the way!

Edited by Balding Bad
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Balding Bad said:

Awesome, thanks for sharing. I'll be sure to comb through your thread! (pun intended) 😜

EDIT: Oh, you know what? I've actually gone through your thread already. Haha, how 'bout that! Your progress is looking great by the way!

Thanks my dude!

4 minutes ago, Balding Bad said:

Hey @hybonix, @PluggedIn, or anyone else for that matter that has had their procedure with SMG. I'm just wondering if you guys had an in-person consultation prior to making your decision or was it all just over-the-phone consults for you?

Over the phone, it was about an hour conversation.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I did a phone consult, mainly due to COVID.  For anyone considering this practice, admin issues aside (and I had none), SMG is a fantastic practice. Regarding wait and timing, I was given a date almost a year out. I was ready to roll and asked to get on a cancellation waiting list. I was forewarned that I needed to be prepared to drop everything at a moments notice, which I was, and sure enough, less than two months later the phone rang.  I bring this up for those who want to go with SMG but don’t want to wait.

• Like 1