+ propecia - Rogaine

Hello

If I have been on Propecia and Rogaine for few months (7 months) and then I stop Rogaine alone but continue on Propecia,

* Will The Hair Loss resume /Increase ??

Any Opinions ??

Sweet lord...I would strongly recommend that you stay on rogaine. If you don't, hair loss will probably increase. I can show you a "stopping minox "study but I don't have the link now since I'm at work now. I'll try to post it tonight.

It's my understanding that rogaine is a long term commitment. Once you quit using rogaine, any hair that is dependent upon the minoxidil for its growth or existence will most likely disappear. When I quit, I know I had massive shedding over a period of time. I'm strictly on propecia now as I didn't want to deal with a massive shedding situation again. Also, the constant flaking and the itching from the minoxidil drove me nuts.

I agree with the itching and the flaking. I cut back to using Rogaine on just my crown once daily. I apply it at night to my crown so it doesn't bug me as I get 7-8 hrs of sleep. I've been doing this for the last year and it seems to work good for me.

I used to apply Rogaine twice daily to my temples for nearly two years, and it caused me to scratch my head more than a dog with fleas; finally one day I came to my senses and realized Rogaine is not going to grow hair on my bald temples. It was wishful thinking -- and a lot of praying -- that kept me doing it.

Brian

From the information I gathered it seems that, for most guys, adding Rogaine to a Finasteride regimen has little (if any) benefit. Everyone agrees that Rogaine is messy, costly and a pain to apply, and I personally chose not to go down that road. I'm extremely happy with Finasteride & MSM, and believe that there's nothing more I could get from Rogaine or similar hair lotions.

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

I strongly disagree but do what you will. I use Kirkland Minoxidil 5% from minoxidilshop. It's about $30 for 4 bottles. That's $7.50 per month.

If you're worried about itching, I'd add Nizoral shampoo every 3 days or even Folligen 1/2ml once per day.

Here's that minox link I forgot to post. Just trying to help

http://www.geocities.com/bryan50001/quitting-minox.htm

Interesting article, which does not disagree with what has been said above:

1. If you compare people who start on minox to people who start on Finasteride, the Finasteride group gets better results in the long term

2. People who have been on minox for a while (whether or not combined with Finasteride) and decide to stop experience some hair loss: again no one denies that.

As for the 3 pictures, they just show that Minox & Finasteride are good at KEEPING your existing hair, but not as good as regrowing what you've lost (though it works for some). Picture 1 & 2 are the same, picture 3 clearly shows that interruption in minox caused some hairloss. Had the guy only been on Finasteride only and stopped, I doubt there would be much difference.

What the article does NOT address is the result for people who've been on Finasteride for a while and then decide to start the minox as well. Are they likely to see a significant change? I don't think so, but as you well said it's up to everyone to give it a go. My ultimate reference in HT matters is Jotronic and he's not using minox!

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

I see truths and points on both sides. I, personally am going to stay on Minoxidil, because of the price and it doesnt bug me nearly as much as it seems to bug others. One thing I have found that some may want to try:

We all know that 5% is greasy and is a pain to apply in the morning when you have to wear it all day, so why not get generic 2% for the morning and 5% to apply right before bed? That little bit that youre losing in the morning cant be negligable. Just a thought.

Ms. Ailene Watts of Dr. Cooley's office also gave a suggestion: to use Nizoral 2% in the morning and only apply the Minoxidil 5% at night. This is also a viable option, since it will take the discomfort of the minoxidil out of your morning agenda altogether.

Me, personally, I think Ill combine the two methods of thinking, because like I said before, minoxidil doesnt bother me and the cost is so negligible. Im talking, of course about using the Nizoral 2% in the morning, then applying the Minoxidil 2%. At night, apply the Minoxidil 5%. Coupled with Proscar, I believe this will be a healthy agenda. Any comments?

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Get the the best effect you need to combo the 2 drugs--all HT surgeons agree with this synergy. If you're having itching then get a good conditioner and use Nizoral 1-2x a week.

If it is cost, xtra strength Rogain is generic at Wal Mart/Sams'/Costco