Finasteride Dosage

Hi everyone, I was prescribed Finasteride 5mg for my prostate and was wondering if this will help with my thinning hair? I've been a lurker on here for a few months researching hair transplants, specifically FUE. This is my first post but I'm sure I'll be posing questions in the coming months as I decide when and where to get this done. 

Edited by WideOpen

Yeah, of course it will.

the dosage you're taking is actually 5 times the recommended daily dose for hair-loss, but it makes little difference really as the dosage curve is so steep. In other words, the effects of 1mg and 5mg will be extremely similar, although 5mg will most likely have a fractional edge over 1mg. 

The standard dosage for combatting hairloss is 1mg per day, so with 5x the strength of that . . Unless you are an unlucky ‘non responder’ to the medication., you should see an improvement, either through; regrowth, general thickening of native hair, less hair fall. 

I would recommend getting a hormonal blood report before commencing the drug, as you will have some form of comparison to baseline.

Out of interest - how long has your dr prescribed you the flnasteride for ?  

Edited by Curious25

11 minutes ago, WideOpen said:

90 pills with 3 refills. So basically 9 months. 

I assume if its for your prostate or BPH, this is something you're going to need to take indefinitely anyways.

5 hours ago, JDEE0 said:

I assume if its for your prostate or BPH, this is something you're going to need to take indefinitely anyways.

Yea I’m not sure on this either - I didn’t think it was designed to be a life long medication for prostate related issues, I’m sure I watched a Dr say in one of those French propecia documentaries that when used for prostate health, it was only ever prescribed temporarily ? 

1 hour ago, Curious25 said:

Yea I’m not sure on this either - I didn’t think it was designed to be a life long medication for prostate related issues, I’m sure I watched a Dr say in one of those French propecia documentaries that when used for prostate health, it was only ever prescribed temporarily ? 

Yeah I don't know about life-long, but indefinitely as I said. I could be wrong, might just be for the 3 months, but I'd guess it would be for as long as is needed to ease symptoms and so on. No idea though, just an assumption.

Doctors prescribe Proscar (5mg) for treating the swelling of the prostrate in patients with prostrate cancer.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

16 hours ago, JDEE0 said:

Probably right. Just tired of getting up 3 to 4 times a night to use the bathroom. Hopefully this will work so I can get a goodnight sleep and help with my hair thinning. 

• Like 1

Just now, WideOpen said:

Probably right. Just tired of getting up 3 to 4 times a night to use the bathroom. Hopefully this will work so I can get a goodnight sleep and help with my hair thinning. 

Let’s hope it helps for both 👌

There are “over-the-counter” products that help with nighttime urges to urinate… simply ask your local pharmacy or shop online.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

On 10/1/2021 at 3:37 PM, gillenator said:

There are “over-the-counter” products that help with nighttime urges to urinate… simply ask your local pharmacy or shop online.

I'm sure there are, but now I have something to help both the hair and the urinate issue. best of both worlds..

• Like 1