Strong pain in Donor area FUE - no redness, swelling or infection visible is this normal

Hi all,

I am 5 days Post OP (FUE) and am experiencing a very sharp, unbearable pain in an area of my donor (pain is in a tennis ball size area I would say) as soon as I lay down. Sleeping not possible. As you see on the picture no visible swelling, redness etc. It feels like a nail is hammered in this area as soon as I touch the pillow. Sitting, standing etc I dont feel any pain anywhere at all.

Has anyone had any similar experience and is this normal and if yes for how long. I know this forum does not replace medical advice but it would be good to get some feedback to eventually calm down before I get more clarity. I contacted the clinic of course (cant go there in person as not in country), should continue to take Ibuprofen but I am not sure its helpful to keep throwing pain killers at it when the pain should actually not be there anymore ? Gonna have to do a hospital run later I guess.

Questions / answers on the web range from "there should be no pain after FUE few days after the op" to "probably infected" (as said, i dont think so based on pictures and the clinic also said nothing visible on pictures after I send it) so its really strange. Nerve damage should also not just be present when laying down I guess ? And if, what can / has to be done when a nerve damage is the cause ? ( i doubt it after FUE)

Just to be super clear, the pain is not uncomfortable I sure do expect some healing discomfort but its really unbearable.

Thanks guys 

InkedPXL_20210926_220345434_LI_3.jpg

I had my FUE procedure done two weeks ago.  The real pain started on day 5 for me.  It was bad.  I was maxing out on the amount of ibuprofen I was allowed in a 24-hour period.  I broke down and got Tylenol.  And started taking it, in addition to ibuprofen.  By day 8 and 9, things got much better.  I Google'd around a bit and it looks like this is fairly common.  Some people suggested that I massage the donor area.  I did do that.  I am not sure if it helped any.

Hang in there.  It should be over in a few days.

Thanks both. Thats very helpful to hear, really thanks. I was / am googling around as well and as mentioned, the prolonging pain per my understanding is always associated with either swelling / redness / some kind of infection (what I dont see at all, nor does it hurt in any way when not laying down so this gets me worried)

Curious what tonight happens :/

You have some nerve pain and this is common to have from FUE and usually manifests from day 5 or so for a week and usually is worse at night. Pain killers, cold aloe vera, vitamin b tablets for nerves also help but it will pass as said above...I have had it once and back in 2006 and it was far less known then but I saw that it was and have also dealt with countless who have had it and it usually follows the same pattern and timelines. 

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network