Upcoming FUE - 1800-2000 grafts

lindros88

Hi all,

I'd like to start sharing a bit of info about myself. Started noticing I was losing hair around the age of 23, and as we all know, it just kept getting worse. I went about 2 years on Minoxidil at 25 (was not sure if I saw much improvement, but I did not track) and I am age 30 now. Interesting enough, the loss seems to have slowed down without a lot of change in the past year, although I tried topical finasteride for about 3-4 months but starting feeling some sides so I hopped off. I decided to go back on Minoxidil and plan to stay on it. I also realized my topical finasteride was 2.5% which seems high. I am looking at a 0.5% solution which may reduce side effects.

I finally bit the bullet to get a hair transplant, and will be going next week. The doctor recommended 1800 FUE as a starting point, and also mentioned I may need to come back in the future. I am OK with that. I seem to be Norwood 4 or 5 right now with a strong donor area.

Attached photos are in harsh and not so harsh lighting. Interested to hear thoughts from this forum.IMG_4921.thumb.jpg.3d89d460777060bc47307e763aa45ad6.jpg

Hair 3.jpg

Hair 2.jpg

Hair 1.jpg

1 minute ago, lindros88 said:

I am going with Dr Nadimi at the Chicago Hair Institute. I also considered Hasson & Wong.

Nice 👍🏽 I have noticed Dr Nadimi seems to do a lot of transplants around that graft count. Should be a good improvement to your frontal third. 

She seems to be taking a conservative approach with strong consideration on future donor hair/procedures. I recall her being impressed at how many grafts H&W are able to get during the consultation. She had also recommended that I discontinue finasteride and consider oral minoxidil if I am feeling side effects, but I am considering the lower dose topical. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lindros88 said:

She seems to be taking a conservative approach with strong consideration on future donor hair/procedures. I recall her being impressed at how many grafts H&W are able to get during the consultation. She had also recommended that I discontinue finasteride and consider oral minoxidil if I am feeling side effects, but I am considering the lower dose topical. 

Yes in your case I think it’s a good approach. Look forward to seeing your journey 👌

I'm very excited! Interestingly enough, it used to be something I was embarased/ashamed about, and I think at that stage is not the best to under the knife. I am now very stoked, with what I believe to be a very good doctor, and I am sharing with all my friends/family/colleagues. Everyone is super excited for me!

I'll keep this thread updated. I noticed a lot of folks stop sharing their results around the 6-month mark so interested to see how nice it gets.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lindros88 said:

I'm very excited! Interestingly enough, it used to be something I was embarased/ashamed about, and I think at that stage is not the best to under the knife. I am now very stoked, with what I believe to be a very good doctor, and I am sharing with all my friends/family/colleagues. Everyone is super excited for me!

I'll keep this thread updated. I noticed a lot of folks stop sharing their results around the 6-month mark so interested to see how nice it gets.

A lot of the time people are off enjoying their new hair, and less interested in updating us 😂please do keep it updated though, it would be really appreciated by the community. We have some great Nadimi threads already 👍🏽

• Like 1

Welcome. I've liked the Nadimi results I've seen and I think the approach of doing multiple smaller sessions instead of one large session is actually to your benefit and I think is generally preferable (unless one is slick-bald or doing just a hairline restoration type thing). She's a great doctor and you did good research. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Lindros,

Congratulations on your upcoming hair transplant procedure. I hope you’ll share your experience and photos so we can follow along with your progress.  I know how exciting yet daunting undergoing surgery can be, knowing that that a fuller, thicker head of hair is around the corner for you.  Best of luck and keep us posted.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Good day all,

It has been awhile since my original post here but I am glad to now be able to post some updates, as I had my surgery yesterday (Aug 4th) with Dr. Nadimi. Today I am just relaxing in the hotel with not much to do, while my partner enjoys the pool at the Hilton Oakbrook. Also, great golf course here, I wish that I could hit the links today, but alas. I will outline the procedure itself as well as add some photos at the end.

About me: 31 years old, Norwood 4 ish, but I can cover it well using toppik and the right styling. I have a strong donor area and sides comparatively.

I am coming from Canada, so I chose to bring my partner with me, and we spent a few days enjoying the city of Chicago (awesome city) doing tourist things like the Architectural Boat Tour, Second City, etc. Had a great time.

The day of the surgery I arrived at the office around 6:45 am, and Karen went through ensuring we had all the forms, covid tests, and instructions read through and completed.

Following that, Dr. Nadimi came in and we took photos and designed my hairline. The camera really captures just how much hair you have lost haha. We decided on putting a hairline a half cm below where my (barely there) hairline sat. We also chatted for awhile, Dr Nadimi is super nice and easy to talk to.

(FYI I have seen some comments and concerns about the conservativeness of Nadimi's hairlines. I've never had any issues on what I saw, and I selected her because I thought her and Dr Konior delivered the most natural looking hairlines I could find. She actually gave me the option to go 1 cm lower, but I opted not to. Each cm below your hairline is approx 1000 grafts to fill the space which limits how much you can use to fill in the rest of what you need, which for me, was a fair amount of miniaturized and wispy hairs. I am also not on Propecia due to side effects that I experienced and plan to get another surgery done in the future. I do use Rogaine and I see visible results from using it)

After designing the hairline, I took a Valium and antibiotic which kicked in quickly and was off to the surgery. The surgery itself was a blur. Dr. Nadimi does all of the punching and grafting herself, and had two very very nice techs supporting. I can't say enough good things about how welcoming the office was and how comfortable they made me feel. I think we went into surgery at about 9AM.

The surgery itself was a bit of a blur. The needles definitely were uncomfortable but once I was frozen I couldn't feel anything, and they let me know many times to tell them if I felt any pain. I did 1 or 2 times then they just switched to a different area, I think. I fell asleep while they pulled the grafts from my head, then next thing I knew it was lunch time. They gave me a lunch menu to order from in the morning and had a nice tuna sandwich from JJ's alone in a room and chilled for about 15 minutes.

Back to it for the afternoon. The afternoon honestly flew by, I thought it was 3PM or so but it was actually 6PM and they were finished up. They give you the option for breaks and I didn't take any other than 1 restroom break.

All tolds the yields were very strong, and from my understanding Dr Nadimi is a master at getting a good hair yields from the grafts. Total hairs I think were just under 6000 from 2037 grafts (or maybe 2060, can't remember).

I just came back from a morning check up and will come again tomorrow morning before I head home to Canada. Will add some photos below for your viewing pleasure:

Flight there:

509798161_Flightthere.thumb.jpg.d698ed4d1f7bde2c93acaa931e026ea7.jpg

Flight there:

1646918790_FLightthere2.thumb.jpg.a508eae134951a15a90034ceaa31676a.jpg

Day before surgery:

1864546226_Daybeforesurgery1.thumb.jpg.7b7bbb6b9e46c6ddbe7b1bedfa5cba42.jpg

Day before surgery:

1147584102_Daybeforesurgery2.thumb.jpg.0b14f65bd8d8d8bb963da0f91bff093c.jpg

Day before surgery:

1115515355_Daybeforesurgery.thumb.jpg.50c43c39ca376cf8fa17c813440e0c77.jpg

Hairline drawing pre shave:

1048258546_Hairlinedrawingpreshave.thumb.jpg.eb1be681ff579f75ac996afba13076c9.jpg

Hairline drawing post shave:

130057046_Hairlinepostshave.thumb.jpg.6d1920936e611074ef3db64c8579eabe.jpg

Post surgery Day 1:

1618356639_Postsurgeryday1.thumb.jpg.52c6728d9815de22733863b8793e3ef1.jpg

Post surgery day 1:

1031041170_Postsurgeryday12.jpg.e4960f98abe768ed53b793db7eb852b7.jpg

Post surgery day 2:

123232829_Day2postop1.thumb.jpg.1a665f9526b0bb1991efb2655e5617d7.jpg

Post surgery day 2:

155545902_Day2postop.thumb.jpg.ebcadd0b114a9728f31d9f62ebf26e0c.jpg

One additional edits RE results: She said she invites ALL her patients to come back for the before and after photos, but its difficult to actually wrangle them in. I thought that was an interesting note. I asked a ton of questions around what see RE the forums, rumors, etc. I posted in another thread but I've seen concerns in the past the she doesn't ONLY do HTs and asked here. She does hair transplants Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday every week and sometimes Sat I am pretty sure. On Wednesday she does volunteer work for veterans at the hospital. She is a good person and a master of her craft. She does some plastic surgeries but apparently does 85% HTs and 15% plastics.

FINAL NOTE: Dr. Nadimi was involved every step of the way, including the next day follow ups, which I greatly appreciated.

Now we wait!!

Edited by lindros88
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chetman2112 said:

Thanks for the write up, the work looks absolutely awesome and I’m sure you will love your results. Please keep us updated, btw I am scheduled with Dr Nadimi in November. 

I’m pumped for you my man, Dr Nadimi is amazing. I’m in awe on how clean the work is compared to many others I see on this website and that’s why I selected Chicago hair institute. So meticulous.

If you have any more questions just let me know!

• Like 1

Great write up and the photos of the transplant look good. 

Just to clarify, Nadimi performs surgery 3 days of the week (M-Tues-Friday) and Koinor performs surgeries (Wednesday and Thursday and sometimes Saturday's). 

Because HT's are so labor intensive they feel like if you perform too many surgeries a week the quality of the product will go down which is why they scheduled their surgeries like this. Also reason why konior's wait list currently is like 16-18 months. Probably even more right now. 

1 hour ago, stephcurry30 said:

Great write up and the photos of the transplant look good. 

Just to clarify, Nadimi performs surgery 3 days of the week (M-Tues-Friday) and Koinor performs surgeries (Wednesday and Thursday and sometimes Saturday's). 

Because HT's are so labor intensive they feel like if you perform too many surgeries a week the quality of the product will go down which is why they scheduled their surgeries like this. Also reason why konior's wait list currently is like 16-18 months. Probably even more right now. 

Agree the waitlist is getting longer and longer — it was a year when I signed on, but I hear it’s longer now. Not sure if the day allocations are accurate though. I had my surgery with Konior very recently on a Tuesday. He also operated on a patient on Wednesday (we met Sat in the office). They might alternate days on the week or maybe I got lucky 😅

I met Nadami. Super friendly (and busy) and her approach is great — if Dr. Konior retires to our collective detriment, Nadimi is a wonderful choice. 

Edited by Z--

3 hours ago, Z-- said:

Agree the waitlist is getting longer and longer — it was a year when I signed on, but I hear it’s longer now. Not sure if the day allocations are accurate though. I had my surgery with Konior very recently on a Tuesday. He also operated on a patient on Wednesday (we met Sat in the office). They might alternate days on the week or maybe I got lucky 😅

I met Nadami. Super friendly (and busy) and her approach is great — if Dr. Konior retires to our collective detriment, Nadimi is a wonderful choice. 

Yep. I had a non hair loss procedure with Nadimi and asked about the way the clinic runs. They do split days between Konior and Nadimi (maybe I confused the days). I'm sure both Nadimi and Konior are in on most days of the week for patient check ups and consultations. 

21 hours ago, Chetman2112 said:

Thanks, any recommendations on hotel? Also I’m curious how many grafts she quoted you at consultation vs what you actually received? I’m driving from Mi. and wasn’t sure how many days to plan in Chicago, thoughts? 

I stayed at the Hilton resort but my girlfriend was with me so she hung out by the pool. There’s a comfort inn right across the street, that if I wasn’t with my gf I would have stayed at.

2 days following the procedure should be fine and they’ll let you know if you should stay longer.

i was quoted 1800-2000 grafts, paid for 1800 in advance and paid for another 200 the morning of the procedure.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Z-- said:

Yup, awesome clinic. There is also a new doc (Dr Shah) who I met and he seems great too. He did my 2 day post op

• Like 1