How many grafts do I need?

Hi, 

New to this forum.

I have a hair transplant booked for early October in the UK, quoted for 2000 grafts to correct receded hairline and thinning crown, I do have diffuse thinning throughout my entire MPB area, but have been told they cannot transplant into that area, as there is still too much hair there.

here is a link to my photos of my current hair loss https://imgur.com/a/sZQOTLH

Also what Norwood would I fall under, given the hairline recession and diffuse thinning/ crown loss.

the reason I ask is I seem to see so much varying mileage as to what 2000 grafts can do online.

how is my donor? I have been told is is weak and I have to be cautious with creatine a conservative hairline

I’m sure I’m missing out some other seductions, so any other stuff you think I should no please tell me, thanks

• Valued Contributor

Your hairline doesn't look as though it would require too many grafts provided your expectations about lowering the hairline are sensible. 2000 grafts across the areas required doesn't look or sound out of place to my eye, but you should probably have already had contact & assessment with at least one other clinic before committing. Have you done so? Impossible to say regarding your donor unless there's an obvious issue. You'd need an in person assessment from a reputable clinic to say for sure. Nothing in your photos looks out of the ordinary though.

Transplanting into diffuse areas is indeed trickier. You'll get more bang for your buck by trying to slow down/stop the thinning via finasteride and other interventions first before blasting the area with new grafts and risking shockloss, graft damage or further losses to the native hairs and then needing more work sooner than expected. There's a couple of patches that you can clearly have filled in as it stands but you'll need a game plan to maintain the surrounding native hair.

Also, as John has said, the UK isn't exactly brimming with top quality options. There are four good options (as listed by John), and beyond that the quality really does nosedive. I'd be a little wary - particular with hair line work (which requires particular refinements) - if you're going to somewhere else. Who are you booked in with?

• Like 1

Donor shows some signs of weakness around the ears but looks more solid at the back.  i think you will end up a NW6 without medications but currently showing obvious NW5 pattern as a minimum.

Your hair seems to be of wavy texture which is beneficial.

2000 grafts to the frontal 3rd is advisable, following the outline of the current 'hairline'.

You have a risk of permanent shock loss of existing hairs throughout the top, so be mentally prepared for that eventuallity

Finasteride would be advisable if not already on it.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Hi, I took finasteride for 1 year, and switched to dustasteride over 5 months ago, as I saw positive stuff of regrowth from dutaseride online, and experienced no sides from finasteride, so thought why not. Seems to have thickened up my hair overall from baseline on finasteride, not sure if regrowth, or just reversing some of the miniaturised hair.

as for hair on the sides, they have been like that for over 10 years with no further change, seems to have been a hormonal thing post puberty, the hair when grown out is more like beard hair, coarser, and wirey. 

here is photos of my hair from 8 months ago, https://imgur.com/a/HYKDO5p 

had very long hair then, and shaved it bald to get a true assessment of the hair loss.

what I have noticed is lighting plays a massive role in things, some photos I can take and hair looks thick and normal, others look thinner than ever.

https://imgur.com/a/J6ypjHo

also think I have mixed hair colour throughout, which can make some photos deceiving.

as for hairline this is what I would like it to be brought back too, which is basically where it is, just reinforcing it really https://imgur.com/a/O69xW6c

I don’t want to disclose where I am getting transplant done yet, but it is one of the ones mentioned above. 

I’m in sorts of panic mode as the day approaches really and perhaps overthinking things, I know I am doing all the right stuff to maintain existing hair as best I can, and I am aware it is likely I will need further transplants in the future, thanks for all the responses