Can using water in a spray bottle to wash and clean the transplanted hair cause damage ?

I started using lotion and shampoo 2 days post op but had problems getting rid of all the lotion so the day after so day 3 till day 14 I washed it off by using water in a spray bottle and it helped me getting rid of the lotion better. The clinic told me this is all right and it won’t do any damage but since I’ve seen different opinions on some issues regarding HT I wonder what you guys here think.

Im quite paranoid in general that this whole thing will fail, I’ve also had an issue with sweating right after the operation and also being under sunlight during day 5 and 14 so very early post op. I just hope everything will go all right but sometimes I just wonder if any of those incidents could have caused the grafts to get damaged.

The water spray did not cause any damage but tell us more about the sun exposure…how long was your scalp exposed and was there a red scalp or worse, any sunburn?

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

1 minute ago, gillenator said:

The water spray did not cause any damage but tell us more about the sun exposure…how long was your scalp exposed and was there a red scalp or worse, any sunburn?

You already responded to this in one of his earlier threads. 

Edited by JohnAC71

What thread?

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Yep, I remember, thanks John!

• Like 1

Gillenator

4 minutes ago, gillenator said:

Like the user @JohnAC71mentioned I’ve already posted about the sun exposure thing earlier. At day 15 I was outside for a few hours while it was sunny, at day 5 it was only a few minutes while leaving the airport but it was really hot outside still. I had no sunburn everything looked as always so I hope it caused no issue.

Just now, Beno99 said:

Like the user @JohnAC71mentioned I’ve already posted about the sun exposure thing earlier. At day 15 I was outside for a few hours while it was sunny, at day 5 it was only a few minutes while leaving the airport but it was really hot outside still. I had no sunburn everything looked as always so I hope it caused no issue.

Your being overly paranoid. Your now a couple of months into your transplant journey and you have posted multiple threads about various ways you may have damaged your grafts. Nothing you have done will have affected them. We have reassured you of this on quite a few occasions. Within a couple of months you will start to see the regrowth for yourself. It’s pointless now wondering about the “what ifs” just look forward to the next 10 months of progression. As I’m sure your aware it’s a full 12 months to see the final result. 

One thing that still worries me too is that at day 2 during my first wash it took me like 15-30 minutes to get rid of all the lotion, I wonder if using that much water at day 2 could damage newly implanted grafts. I always tried to be very gentle, using water in a cup like it was recommended by many youtubers. I got told it’s fine since I didn’t bleed but it still worries me.

It was the next day I switched to washing them with water in a spray bottle, it worked very good after that and I had no issues getting rid of the lotion. 

2 minutes ago, Beno99 said:

One thing that still worries me too is that at day 2 during my first wash it took me like 15-30 minutes to get rid of all the lotion, I wonder if using that much water at day 2 could damage newly implanted grafts. I always tried to be very gentle, using water in a cup like it was recommended by many youtubers. I got told it’s fine since I didn’t bleed but it still worries me.

It was the next day I switched to washing them with water in a spray bottle, it worked very good after that and I had no issues getting rid of the lotion. 

We already covered this months ago in another one or your earliest threads. 

2 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

Your being overly paranoid. Your now a couple of months into your transplant journey and you have posted multiple threads about various ways you may have damaged your grafts. Nothing you have done will have affected them. We have reassured you of this on quite a few occasions. Within a couple of months you will start to see the regrowth for yourself. It’s pointless now wondering about the “what ifs” just look forward to the next 10 months of progression. As I’m sure your aware it’s a full 12 months to see the final result. 

Yeah I guess you are right. It’s just that I’ve lost lots of confidence because of hair loss and this whole thing is very important to me. I just don’t want to screw things up, just imagine if all the hairs that got taken off the donor are gone for nothing. It’s frustrates me a bit to know that this whole thing might end up as a failure.

Just now, Beno99 said:

Yeah I guess you are right. It’s just that I’ve lost lots of confidence because of hair loss and this whole thing is very important to me. I just don’t want to screw things up, just imagine if all the hairs that got taken off the donor are gone for nothing. It’s frustrates me a bit to know that this whole thing might end up as a failure.

Absolutely nothing you have done will have any impact on the grafts. You stand as much chance of a good result as anybody else. We have reassured you on multiple threads and I’m guessing you have also sought reassurance elsewhere too. So now just sit back and try and stop worrying and see when the growth begins. It will be around month 4 (Approx) We all worry but this is too much, your going to drive yourself mad. 

• Moderators

You haven't done anything (none of the things you mentioned) to mess it up. You just have to wait. It's not easy, but we all have to wait 6 months or so and it's not a fun time for anyone. Hang in there. We've all been through it.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.