Hair Dye and Hair Loss

I wanted to see if anyone had any acknowledge or first hand experience with this...

About 6 months or so ago towards the beginning of the year for the first time I used some Just For Men comb in hair dye for the sides and back of my head. Mostly the sides. I was starting to go gray pretty bad there and the result of this stuff was awesome. Immediately it was all brown again and I felt like a million bucks. I proceeded to use the dye going forward about once a month.

In recent months however, the last few I'd say, in what can only be described as either a result of using this dye or a very strange coincidence, I've noticed that the sides of my hair have started to appear slightly thinner than usual. I already suffer from some retrograde alopecia so it's not the strongest in the first place, but the retrograde now just seems, well, a little bit worse. It wasn't until just this week that I put two and two together and thought there could be a legitimate connection.

After some research I found the obvious - hair dye, in any form really, is not good for your hair, at all, and absolutely can create/cause hair loss. Whether or not this really is a result of the Just For Men I obviously can't say for certain, but I'm thinking it definitely had some sort of negative affect on my already poor hair quality. Question is- If it WAS from the dye, now that I'm going to stop using it, will the hair eventually go back to normal with time?? Thank you?

It's really the old former hair dye products that contain harsh chemicals such as peroxide, ammonia, etc that can be acutely harmful to hair....I remember my older sister having used those dyes and they stunk up the entire house.

However, products like "Just for Men" do not contain these 2 ingredients and are not very harmful to hair...so IMHO, it's doubtful that the "JFM" product did any material damage to your hair...you might just be shedding.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY