Doing two HT instead of one. Good idea?

Bluelagoon

Some surgeons advocate a conservative approach, saying it's better to transplant too little than too much. Not sure why, or exactly what they mean by that. But say I was to restore my hairline. Do 1500 grafts, but it really might (might) look better with a slightly lower hairline, say 2000 grafts. Would it then be any disadvantages to doing a 1500 graft HT first, and then, if I decide it doesn't quite look the part, go for an extra 500 grafts? 

I think most people would benefit from a second procedure. There are always some spots that don't grow as strong as expected. Besides, there's no way to know how it's really going to look when you shave your hair and draw lines on your scalp. It's hard to visualize the "grown out" look.

A second procedure also give you the chance to make changes. Maybe you want to close your temples more. Or add to your temple peaks. Or a hairline that could use a little boost in density.

I think it's smart to start more conservative.

• Like 1

You can obviously do multiple procedures and most patients require multiple procedures to get to where they want. You should wait at least 1 year between procedures. I personally recommend 1.5 years. It's best to get procedures done by a well qualified and well reviewed surgeon since you have a finite amount of grafts and want to get great results from the get go. Please feel free to reach out anytime. 

• Like 2

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

What you're asking really is can you add density / have a "touch up" session at a later date.......and yes you can. It can take 18 months to really see your full result though so you shouldn't be too eager to jump back in.

• Like 1

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

1 hour ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

You can obviously do multiple procedures and most patients require multiple procedures to get to where they want. You should wait at least 1 year between procedures. I personally recommend 1.5 years. It's best to get procedures done by a well qualified and well reviewed surgeon since you have a finite amount of grafts and want to get great results from the get go. Please feel free to reach out anytime. 

27 minutes ago, TommyLucchese said:

What you're asking really is can you add density / have a "touch up" session at a later date.......and yes you can. It can take 18 months to really see your full result though so you shouldn't be too eager to jump back in.

Thank you. Both of you. I am new and know little. I am thinking let's say I only wanted to fill the temples, and increase the MTP density, would it make sense to do that once, and wait 18 months, and then add even more grafts to that area? I am not sure whether that would make sense, or instead just going for a single more grafts HT procedure. 

I think a slow and steady approach is great. I went all in with 2900 grafts my first surgery and there were technical complications that led to sub par yield.

I cringe when I see these Turkish mega sessions of 5000+ grafts. If one thing goes wrong it’s over for you as most of your donor is shot.

• Like 1