Can I still experience shock loss ?

It’s exactly 38 days now after my hair transplant and my hair looks almost exactly the same as It did before the procedure, only a few spiky grafts at the front of both temples are still there. I have not experienced any shock loss yet, meaning loss of native hair. Before the procedure I was always scared of this happening and so far I’m glad it didn’t.

I just wonder, am I safe now ? Or can it still happen even more than 5 weeks after the procedure ?

44 minutes ago, Westview said:

It usually happens within 3 months or so. 

So if you havent noticed any over the next 2 months you are probably in the clear

So it can still happen..thats unfortunate as I’m sure it will look absolutely horrible

I though that maybe I would be safe since I’ve made it this far without shock loss but we’ll see.

13 hours ago, Beno99 said:

So it can still happen..thats unfortunate as I’m sure it will look absolutely horrible

I though that maybe I would be safe since I’ve made it this far without shock loss but we’ll see.

I wouldnt worry about it if I were you.  Shock loss only affects around 10% of all patients.

If you made it 39 days without it you are most likely in the clear

• Like 1

It really depends on how your scalp responds to the corresponding level of trauma that is caused to the scalp...bottom line, shock loss is unpredictable.

The other factors are, how much native hair is present within the recipient area and even the adjoining areas...and if the native hair is in a diffused state, it is more susceptible to shock compared to hair that is not diffusing.

Shock loss typically occurs approximately 8-12 weeks post-op for those who may experience it.

• Like 2

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

11 hours ago, gillenator said:

It really depends on how your scalp responds to the corresponding level of trauma that is caused to the scalp...bottom line, shock loss is unpredictable.

The other factors are, how much native hair is present within the recipient area and even the adjoining areas...and if the native hair is in a diffused state, it is more susceptible to shock compared to hair that is not diffusing.

Shock loss typically occurs approximately 8-12 weeks post-op for those who may experience it.

8-12 weeks really ? In pretty much every shock loss case I’ve seen it started way sooner like in the first weeks or month. That’s also why I wondered if I would be safe by now since I made it now to day 40 without any shock loss.

and yes there is lots of native hair present in the recipient area so I’m still at high risk I guess 😔

Well, like anything else, we all respond differently including the trauma from the procedure…regarding the time frame for shock loss, yes, some individuals experience it earlier and some later however if we were to chart it on a bell curve, we would discover a median point at approximately 6-8 weeks.

From many years of observation, it’s the more diffused native hair that is at a higher risk of shock loss that I have seen.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY