Is it worse for men to get plastic surgery?

wantego

Is it worse for men to get plastic surgery?

by Joanna Douglas, Shine Staff, on Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:19am PDT

We've always thought Rupert Everett was dreamy, particularly in 'My Best Friend's Wedding.' All the more reason why we were horrified upon finding this recent photo of him from his appearance on 'The Martha Stewart Show.'

The picture on the left is just one year old. The photo on the right is from last week. Shocking!

The actor, currently starring in Blithe Spirit on Broadway, has obviously had a great deal of work done. Dr. Brian S. Glatt, founder of the Premier Plastic Surgery Center of New Jersey, thinks the 49-year-old actor had a facelift. 'His cheeks are fuller and lifted, and his jawline and neck are pulled back and smoother,' says Dr. Glatt. His forehead is the work of Botox. 'I think he's definitely using it. He is very animated, and there are no lines visible on his forehead.'

But that's not all??”Dr. Glatt believes he also got a chin implant! 'The shape and projection of the chin is drastically different. It's much more pointed,' he says, estimating the combined surgeries to have cost around $25,000.

'This is an impressive difference,' says Dr. Glatt. 'He looks 10 years younger!' Um, no, he looks like a scary robot! A little botox is maybe one thing, but our beloved Everett is totally unrecognizable! In fact, he looks kind of like Bruce Jenner, another awful surgery victim.

We can't help but notice a surge in plastic faces amongst Hollywood men like John Travolta, Ray Liotta and Mickey Rourke. Nicholas Cage's hair plugs also make us shudder. Why not go the route of Bruce Willis and shave it all off and make that your look? No one thinks you miraculously grew hair after balding for 20 years. The plugs are worse than a bad toupee.

Do you think it's somehow worse when men receive cosmetic procedures?

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel...stic-surgery-447983/

That was not very polite of her.

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

There tend to be 2 schools of thoughts amongst Facial Plastic guys like me. One is to do aggressive work (facelifts/hair whatever) and really pull tight, or by contrast drop the hairline a good bit lower than the patient's similar aged peers. I have 3 competitiors nearby that make alot more money than I ever will, and they charge a ton of money to do really agressive facial surgeries.

The other school, of which I am a member, aims to be less aggressive and give what I think is a more natural result. With faces, that means I don't expect to have a 75 year old try to look 40; and with hair, it means that a grey haired 55 year old class 6 won't wind up with dyed black class 1 hairline and alot of thin hair or scalp showing behind the 25 year old hairline.

I am upfront about that at the consultation and have a book full of patient letters telling me that they like that approach.

I think its safer, more natural looking, and people don't need to stay home for months recovering. I work on working folks by and large, not celebrities, and they need to get back to work/PTA meetings/child care etc.

So I don't think its worse for men to do procedures than women, but when men have really aggressive face procedures its REALLY noticable and they don't wear makeup to cover the scars etc.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I felt her comments towards Nic Cage were not very polite. She probably has never battled hair loss like many of us. She also probably has no idea that Mr Cage may now would have a long strip scar if he had a strip HT so shaving his head is not as simple as she may think.

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

I think it's interesting how judgemental people can be, especially a woman who probably at the first sign of wrinkles will get botox and quite possibly will get breast implants or reduction as they sag as she ages.

The bottom line is, all people wrestle with aging, and we all handle it our own way. Cosmetic procedures aren't perfect, but many of them have improved significantly over the years, such as today's hair transplants. If a man wants his hair back, who should begrudge him? I certainly wouldn't begrudge a woman for wanting to improve her appearance if she wants and makes educated choices.

No matter what, we can't stop age. But if cosmetic surgery improves our appearance and more importantly, how we feel about ourselves, then it may be worth the investment.

Bill

I very much like Dr. Lindeys school of thought about not going too aggressive. Regardless of whether it's a women or a man, the results that always tend to look the worst are those of individuals who have overdone it and it definitely comes across as surgery.

I'm sure many other aging actors such as Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt etc have probably all had very subtle things such as laser treatment, botox or restaylne but because it's so subtle it doesn't come across as unatural and they simply look good.

Sensationalist journalism has been outing celebrities and their plastic surgery sercrets for years. Apparently, TV addicted (likely fat) women can't get enough of it.

If you are married to a woman who wants to stay looking young, are you going to tell her no? If you love her and are not jealous, it could be a good thing for both of you.

Likewise if a man wants to age gracefully, it is not necessarily a bad thing. I think hair transplantation falls along the lines of scar/burn repair. And serves to restore a semblance of what was lost.

When judging plastic surgery, it probably important to be objective. The guy in that article looks much better and natural. Micky Rourke looks freaky. Nicolas Cage's career would have gone the way of woody harrelson had he not addressed the hair. Lisa rinna and Meg Ryan probably went way too large with their lips, when you see them thats what you look at and imediately pick put as unnatural. 95% Of normal women who get implants you cant tell because they get a normal size. Some women get greedy and you can tell because they went too large.

People will be extraordinarily blunt, if not outright cruel in judgments when it's convenient; particularly, the media towards the celebs whose theatrics (and often sorrow) line their pockets.

Ultimately, the author is looking not just for flaws, but above all else personal failure. Nic Cage's HT can be seen as such, and it's easy target practice. If Cage had Bill's transformation for instance I think the author's trap would be shut much tighter, and if it did open it'd be much less brazen.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!