getting (non hair) surgery, can I wear toppik during the surgery?

so I am getting a surgery on my leg (not hair related).

I always wear toppik because of thin hair on my head.

Can I put toppik and go to the surgery or is it considered "not sterile" or something?

this might seem ridiculous but I have never gone outside in years without toppik or a hat so I feel better with toppik even while sleeping on the operating table. 

• 3 months later...
On 7/26/2021 at 4:52 AM, bepatience said:

so I am getting a surgery on my leg (not hair related).

I always wear toppik because of thin hair on my head.

Can I put toppik and go to the surgery or is it considered "not sterile" or something?

this might seem ridiculous but I have never gone outside in years without toppik or a hat so I feel better with toppik even while sleeping on the operating table. 

Your whole body is not sterile. Unless you put toppik on leg hair then you can keep it on your head 

I can't imagine that this would be an issue - but if you're uncertain, this is a question for the doctor and don't take it as gospel from any of us. That said, I had nose surgery last fall and there wasn't one single mention of "don't wear any hair product in your hair". Ntm, you'll probably be in a full gown/cap anyway. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• 4 months later...

It all depends on how complex the operation is. If you need to transplant the skin or remove some growth, it is unlikely that you will be asked to take off the hat. However, if the operation is more complex, such as removing muscles or tendons, the surgical technician may make additional requirements during the procedure. He Prepare everything for the patient and surgeon in the operating room. It is best to call your surgeon or attending physician to clarify this issue. It is better to know this in advance to feel as comfortable as possible on the day of the operation. You can ask for a sterile transparent surgical cap. Good luck.

Edited by wedsaq