Low DHT serum levels

Hello folks. 

So, I really didnt want to push a new post so soon, but I do hope it wont be completely useless. 

So, I have certain question. 

A few days ago, I recieved my DHT serum levels. I did my HT 31 days ago. I tested my DHT levels out of couriosity. But as the great movie title says, Im now Dazed and confused :D

The process is that they took my blood in my country but shipped it to another one (Germany) to produce results. Im not really familiar with the whole thing, but I dont think that I need to suspect the results. 

I will add a picture. 

My levels of DHT were at 72.

The lowest normal point is 300,at least in this lab. 

So;

1. Do different labs have different referent points for DHT? 

2. Is it possible that my scalp DHT levels are higher than 72, same or lower? Maybe Im asking too much

3. Would there be any logical reasons to nuke my already low DHT levels with oral finasteride? 

4. As I heard from doctor Bhatti from Darling Buds:

Undeniable facts

- higher levels of DHT in scalp are always in balding men

- activity of 5 alfa reductase in scalp is also higher in balding men

(hope i didnt misunderstand this) 

So, in the end is the sensitivity of the androgenous receptors or their number the key of my MPB? 

I have normal bloodwork stats and normal levels of testosterone. 

Also I tried finasteride  3 years ago and had side effects. 

Also I did a trycho test or whatever it is called in english and I got prescribed with topical dutasteride 0.25% solution. But it says tast I need to take it every day.

So, all in all if anybody has any thoughts, please do share them ;)

IMG_20210714_163313.png

IMG_20210719_154903.png

Edited by gradina22
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, bald-and-bearded said:

What method did they use to measure DHT? It seems there is a more accurate one and a less accurate one.

It says 

LCMS meth on the document-

No point saying nothing other than I dont have a clue about anything

- so that would be method in my case. Lab also does this always and there were just a few guys doing the same, at least on Cro forum but results were in classic margins. 

There is one guy that did it a few days ago, so Im waiting for his results. But I dont think this solves my situation

25 minutes ago, bald-and-bearded said:

Okay that is supposed to be the more accurate method.

Well since I didnt really know that there were 2 methods, one better one (less) efficient... 

Im glad that you commented that I did the better one :D

I dont even know what LCMS stands for

But... Any thoughts otherwise? 

There is also a very fresh topic about topical solutions... 

But Im really interested can anybody answer my questions up there

Cheers

Edited by gradina22

22 minutes ago, bald-and-bearded said:

I have no idea why your DHT is naturally low without even taking any medications. You should maybe consult a doctor (not hair related).

Yes, was asking the lab what do they think and the answer was that is best to speak with endocrynologist. 

It was a logical response indeed

LCMS is indeed the better method of testing as @bald-and-bearded points out.

It is indeed strange that your DHT is well below the reference range, considering that you said your T levels are normal; you would think that as long as you have normal amounts of testosterone available, that the usual percentage of around 10 percent (total) would be converted to DHT via the 5a-r enzyme. What were your levels of total and free T if I may ask? 

I'm certainly no doctor/endocrinologist, so just complete (and very probably inaccurate) speculation on my part (and I would strongly advise you go and see an expert in the field to figure out what's going on), but perhaps you have some sort of deficiency in the 5a-r enzyme. Though this usually comes with very severe and obvious symptoms so I'm sure this would've been picked up a long time ago; you would likely have not experienced masculinisation etc during puberty. Maybe the deficiency can be less severe and result in less symptoms in some cases though, I really have no idea.

I do know that Testosterone levels, for example, can be falsely read as well below their normal levels if someone gets their blood taken after a night or two of poor to no sleep, heavy drinking etc. Maybe DHT can similarly be falsely misrepresented by external factors too, and it could be a false reading essentially, but again I'm not sure. 

40 minutes ago, RandoBrando517 said:

Are you sure you’re nor confusing testosterone levels for DHT levels? 

No man. 

Measurement is very fresh. 

Dont know did you see the document above. I attached a picture. 

I just crossed out my name

Is there a problem with the pictures above?? 

Please notify me if thats the case

1 minute ago, gradina22 said:

No man. 

Measurement is very fresh. 

Dont know did you see the document above. I attached a picture. 

I just crossed out my name

Is there a problem with the pictures above?? 

Please notify me if thats the case

I just googled normal DHT level range and it says 14-77 is the normal range. 

7 minutes ago, RandoBrando517 said:

I just googled normal DHT level range and it says 14-77 is the normal range. 

That is probably for ng/dl, OP's lab used pg/ml to measure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JDEE0 said:

It is indeed strange that your DHT is well below the reference range, considering that you said your T levels are normal; you would think that as long as you have normal amounts of testosterone available, that the usual percentage of around 10 percent (total) would be converted to DHT via the 5a-r enzyme. What were your levels of total and free T if I may ask? 

I'm certainly no doctor/endocrinologist, so just complete (and very probably inaccurate) speculation on my part (and I would strongly advise you go and see an expert in the field to figure out what's going on), but perhaps you have some sort of deficiency in the 5a-r enzyme. Though this usually comes with very severe and obvious symptoms so I'm sure this would've been picked up a long time ago; you would likely have not experienced masculinisation etc during puberty. Maybe the deficiency can be less severe and result in less symptoms in some cases though, I really have no idea.

I do know that Testosterone levels, for example, can be falsely read as well below their normal levels if someone gets their blood taken after a night or two of poor to no sleep, heavy drinking etc. Maybe DHT can similarly be falsely misrepresented by external factors too, and it could be a false reading essentially, but again I'm not sure. 

Thanks for throwing in some thoughts. 

Yeah, Im well aware that DHT plays a lot of things during adolescent age. 

Well, I think my dick and balls played out well. Haha, hope nobody will take this sentence as a rude one. 

To answer your question about T levels. 

I did the measurement three times if I remember well. 

First time I did it cause my brother had testicular cancer (luckily everything went well for him, but I usually say that maybe he didnt go bald cause that - well thats one hell of a redneck personal science). 

I also checked some blood markers. 

Second time I measured T levels when I finaly went to my first real dermatology overview. 

And third and last time I did T levels at the begining of this year. 

Everything was always normal. I remember that my urologist also commented that I have normal T levels. 

Sadly Im currently in a post op hiding. Not at home, so I cant tag my T levels... At least not yet

I also doublechecked and asked two different urologists what do they think, especially about finasteride usage (at that time I didnt know bout DHT levels-fresh from July). Well I think in Europe doctors are not really that straightforward with giving fin as in USA. Maybe just going off topic, dont want to push this question. 

Also three different dermatologists said that oral fin is not smart (again, I repeat I just got my DHT levels). 

Dont really know is this involved or not, but a few years ago I went to urologist for some urination problems. 

The guy was pretty opened about "street language" so he basically told me to "bend over so he can do finger in the ass thing :D" 

He was checking my prostate ofc. Doc commented that it seems that my prostate is really "soft" whatever that means and that its by his opinion very big and that it would be expected that I have like 55 years (I was around 30).

Dont have a clue does this all have to do with anything. 

But in the ultrasound check, everything was good. Im probably so of topic with this... 

But Im not really sure what to say now... 

Also to add. From the day of my HT I was drinking almost no booze. Just  2 victory beers, maybe 7 or 8 days post op. 

I cant say that I had really good nights of sleep before DHT measurements. But it wasnt awfull. I was feeling pretty normal on the day of the bloodwork

I was recuperating from FUT, so it was neck pillow thing etc, you know what to expect

Edited by gradina22

26 minutes ago, RandoBrando517 said:

I googled pg/ml and it says 112-955 for adult males. Doesn’t seem that low 

Well, its good to know this. 

But then again why does the lab use different stats

300 - 850

One guy from Cro forum had 630 or so, for example. And thats completely different than me

Thanks for the info anyway. 

If I consider those measurment as you mentioned, it looks better. 

But then again, even by those standards its lower than usual. 

P. S. 

Maybe I can do the test again. But not really sure why to doubt these results. 

Its not that expensive in the end

Edited by gradina22
  • Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 5:07 PM, JDEE0 said:

Hey bro

I have my testosterone levels now. 

Will attach a pic of the document

T levels measured at the beginning of April. So, little more than 2 months prior to HT

So its 18,7

Borderlines are 5,5 to 25,17

Completely forgot

But you can also see that DHEA-S in my case is elevated. 

Again dont have a clue about this. 

I tried to google it and its seems that it can have something with the female hairloss.. 

Does it play with MPB also?? 

IMG_20210725_184551.jpg

Edited by gradina22