Low Density HT :25 grafts per cm2 would look horrible right?

I would say that sounds too low but I suppose it depends on a lot of factors. Your available donor hair and current density are the two major ones.

Did your doctor discuss the possibility of doing multiple surgeries and maybe the 25 grafts per cm2 were part of an overall plan to increase density over a few sessions?

Like most aspects of HT I don't think you'll get a definite yes/no answer because of the amount of variables but, as a rule of thumb, 25 per cm2 just doesn't quite seem enough for me. Perhaps it's worth getting a second opinion if you can? Other people on this site will hopefully be able to tell you more.

Best of luck!

I think 25 would work in the hairline area of older guys like me who have thin native hair anyway. My HT is not very dense in the front...dont know what the density is but it has defined my hairline and blends well into my native hair. so my answer would be it depends on the density of your existing hair. I think clour would make a difference too. Lack of density in darker hair will be more noticeable I would think. cheers

Depends

25 might be appropriate for a diffuse thinner

it might also be enough for fue if you plan to buzz

and finally, the doctor might believe that 2 surgeries will yield a better final result.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

It really varies. That is a low number but remember people and patients are not math...they are individuals.

A lower density may play out well for someone with really thick, bushy, curly hair like a black guy or some middle eastern folks. (as compared to a fine haired asian for example)

Also, there could be other limiting factors as well. About 3 weeks ago we worked with a fine haired asian fellow who'd had 2000 grafts "sprinkled" all over his head by a large national firm in our area a few years ago. This man was a hair tragedy with extremely poor donor hair, and alot of his donor hair had previously been used very poorly. We did 2200 (all that I could get from a very long and fairly wide strip) and built him a hairline. But he and I had several discussions about the trade off of density versus less density and the illusion of a little more coverage...and given his very thin sides, we did a little less dense along the front but we certainly got him coverage where he had nothing before.

While he won't be a perfect case for showing potential patients our results, I am confident that this procedure was what he wanted, and will give him a nice result to repair previous damage.

So don't get bogged down in numbers, speak with your doc about goals and what's needed to achieve them

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians