How long do you have to sleep elevated after a HT?

• Moderators

I'd say 4 to 5 nights.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

And kind of in the same subject... What do people suggest as far as using an upright cushion / sit-up pillow? And maybe even using a cloth rope to tie ones wrist to your waist to not scratch head and accidentally take out grafts? Is this even a problem?

Echoing what BeHappy said, the usual is 4-5 nights. Ask clarification from your doctor. 

Essentially just plan on being really sleep deprived the first week post-op. No matter what cushion/pillow you get, you are going to be uncomfortable. 

Not only just from sleeping upright, but also because most docs make you apply saline spray every 2 hours around the clock the first couple days. Also your head might be very very itchy. 

Just accept that you will get terrible sleep the first few days. 

• Like 1

Does anyone have a reccomendation as far as a real sit up pillow goes? Or do most of you just put two pillows to the side of you, sit up behind one pillow and call it a night. I don't know how I'd ever do it. I don't even have a cushioned headboard. 

• Moderators

I slept in a recliner chair the first few nights. I did try sleeping propped up in bed with several pillows behind me like you mention, but that was harder to stay upright and harder to fall asleep. Either way, get a neck pillow. It will make sure you can't end up sleeping on the grafts even if you toss and turn and don't stay upright while asleep. I prefer a button front or tie front pillow because that makes sure your head and neck stay in the right position better.

1446409580_ScreenShot2021-06-21at2_10_11PM.png.b8883f952b18712b380d15cb939d0340.png

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I would be way too paranoid that I'd turn over to my side in the middle of the night 😬

But I guess the right neck pillow would help prevent that

Edited by ML488