Hat / Cap Recommendation after FUE

slim999

I personally do not recommend wearing a hat, whatsoever, for the first 5 days. Wear a hat right out of surgery, for example, and you're probably going to lose double digit percentage of the grafts just placed in. When it comes time to wearing a hat in those early days, I suggest something like this (same one I wore), largest size possible for your head, but just tight enough on the outside so the inside doesn't touch the top of your head. Wear sparingly (like running to store real quick) not at events, etc. Generally speaking, tho, avoid hats as much as possible for those first 10 days.

After 10 days, where any hat you desire. I suggest staying away altogether from beanies, etc.

• Like 2

FUT procedure w/ Dr. K (2012)
Second FUT, Dr. K, Nov. 2020 (mini update)
Third procedure, FUE, Dr. K, 03/21, 400 beard to scar (latest update)

On 6/14/2021 at 11:29 AM, champybaby said:

I personally do not recommend wearing a hat, whatsoever, for the first 5 days. Wear a hat right out of surgery, for example, and you're probably going to lose double digit percentage of the grafts just placed in. When it comes time to wearing a hat in those early days, I suggest something like this (same one I wore), largest size possible for your head, but just tight enough on the outside so the inside doesn't touch the top of your head. Wear sparingly (like running to store real quick) not at events, etc. Generally speaking, tho, avoid hats as much as possible for those first 10 days.

After 10 days, where any hat you desire. I suggest staying away altogether from beanies, etc.

Edited by slim999

I don't think it's completely accurate that simply wearing a hat right after the procedure puts you at risk of losing half of your grafts. However, you do need to wear a hat correctly. The main thing you need to be conscious of is wearing a hat that doesn't come into direct contact with the grafts. Get a hat with a high front (like a trucker hat) with adjustable snaps in the back so that you can make it as loose as possible. Then make sure you very carefully and methodically place the hat on your head in such a way that you don't make any contact/apply any pressure to the grafts, and you're good to go. You don't want to do this for an extended period of time, but if you're going out/running errands, it's actually quite beneficial to wear a hat so as to keep your grafts out of the sun, which is what could really negatively impact your results if not careful.

Hope that helps! 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

14 hours ago, pkipling said:

I don't think it's completely accurate that simply wearing a hat right after the procedure puts you at risk of losing half of your grafts.

I did not say that. I said the person would lose "double digit percentage" of grafts.

FUT procedure w/ Dr. K (2012)
Second FUT, Dr. K, Nov. 2020 (mini update)
Third procedure, FUE, Dr. K, 03/21, 400 beard to scar (latest update)

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2021 at 5:01 AM, champybaby said:

I did not say that. I said the person would lose "double digit percentage" of grafts.

Ok! Either way, I don't think that's completely accurate either. If done correctly, there's no reason why someone couldn't wear the right type of hat following the procedure as long as the grafts aren't disrupted. And in some ways, it could be beneficial to do so. (I live in sunny Southern California, so believe me - properly wearing a hat and having the grafts covered the after the procedure was the right move, as sun exposure would've been way more risky.)

Not trying to argue at all. Just giving a different perspective so the OP can make the decision he feels is best. :) 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56