Aggressive hairloss Can I do a transplant without finasteride

Zoobz

Hi all,

Would like to nip this in the bud and move on if it's not possible.  I have aggressive hairloss and have been loosing hair since probably around 23. I am 31 now.  Long family history of baldness of both sides with maternal uncle and my dad completely bald and 99 percent of my uncles, although my maternal grandad had no hairloss and neither of my older brothers have hairloss (lucky me).  

Tried finasteride and has side effects on both oral and topical. Been on minoxidil for 7 months or so on hairline with no results I think and probably 4 months on crown with no results. 

So considering this am I candidate or not based on my situation.

Top 3 pics. Taken today with shorter hair, slightly darker setting.

Bottom 2 pics. 1 year ago, although in brighter light.

IMG_20210604_225605.jpg

IMG_20210604_225351.jpg

IMG_20210604_225235.jpg

IMG_20200414_135210.jpg

IMG_20200414_165910.jpg

You are in a very tough spot similar to mine. A good amount of hair loss but still enough hair on your head to where a transplant wouldn't be a good idea at all, or even not really possible. Going in between all those hairs would probably cause a decent amount of shock loss to the point where it's just not worth it. Curious what side effects did you have on Finasteride? Were you on brand or generic? Did you try lowering your dose?

For now I'd really just sugguest using fibers until you've lost enough that you can really comfortably go in for a HT down the road.

Edited by SD1984

19 hours ago, SD1984 said:

You are in a very tough spot similar to mine. A good amount of hair loss but still enough hair on your head to where a transplant wouldn't be a good idea at all, or even not really possible. Going in between all those hairs would probably cause a decent amount of shock loss to the point where it's just not worth it. Curious what side effects did you have on Finasteride? Were you on brand or generic? Did you try lowering your dose?

For now I'd really just sugguest using fibers until you've lost enough that you can really comfortably go in for a HT down the road.

@SD1984 I've only ever tried generic. I got gyno symptoms from it, get it at all doses and topical forms aswell. Went as low as 0.25mg every 3 days and still got symptoms albeit it took longer to show. Never tried fibers and don't think it's for me, don't like the mental drain of effectively hiding hairloss, I feel it's something I may become reliant on, much like guys become reliant on hats, I've purposefully avoided doing that.

@Gatsby dutasteride is a step too far for me, I've been advised by many medical professionals to not take finasteride so it was a big step for me to go against their advice. Dutasteride would be overkill for me. Also I'm not sure it's available in the uk

Is there some reason dutasteride would not produce side effects, from what I understand it's effectively reducing dht to a greater extent so I imagine increasing estrogen to a greater extent.