Different quotes from top surgeons

Hi all 

I am 39, looking to have HT this year. I am in process of consultation with some of the well known names in Europe (Switzerland and Belgium). I am looking into restoring both the front and the crown part and my estimate has always been around 5K grafts with the aim to have it as densely packed as possible. I have consulted so far with two top FUE surgeons. Without mentioning to them my lay estimates, one of them suggested indeed around 5K, but the other only 3K. I asked if 3K was too little and he said he could increase it to 3,5K but more than that is not needed at this stage. I expressed my expectations to both doctors in the same way and they both saw me for consultation in person. The FUT surgeon I am seeing in person in July, but based on thorough Skype consultation, he suggested around 4K grafts max (to be confirmed after consultation in person) 

Has anyone received such different quotes from different surgeons? Is it smart to challenge their estimates with estimates of others surgeons and how would you proceed with making the decision? I am not that concerned with the price, but of course, 1,5K grafts at a top European clinic is worth thousands of Euros. The bigger question is whose estimates to rely on most confidently. They are all very invested, great doctors, provide great reasoning, look at the bigger picture and the potential future hair loss, etc. So it seems anyway. 

Many thanks

Edited by Florence

It's totally normal I feel to have a different range.

Different doctors will have different goals. For example, some doctors will go for more density than other doctors. Or they might see a different hairline design for you. Some doctors love to err on the side of caution while others are more aggressive and are willing to take a bit more risk to give you the hairline you dream about.

My first consultation, the doctor recommended 1200 or 1500 grafts (I forget). Then I consulted with H & W and got a recommendation that was double that. The thing is, H&W wanted to dense pack my hairline while my local doc just wanted to be safe. 

It's not like either of them are wrong. 

Different surgeons have different philosophies in terms of how aggressive/cautious they want to be. As you mentioned, you made your expectations clear. If you'd like, you can share pictures with the community and can do virtual consults as well with recommended surgeons to see what they say. 

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

Thank you both for your opinion. I will see if I can make some photos and share. The thing is, I never made any and never shared any with the clinics. I always relied on doing personal consultations where they can really inspect my scalp, hair loss and hair quality. 

• Administrators

Different surgeons have different philosophies. Remember, that a quote is subject to change in person. It may be less or more. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.