Bleaching a Pluggy Hairline

SD1984

Hello all. I am in the process of setting up what would be my first ever HT for a hairline reconstruction. My biggest fear with HT's, even with a good surgeon in charge, is the obvious - the hairline. Add on the fact that my hair is super dark brown AND that my donor hair is actually very dense and likely has high microns, and I just have this paranoid thought that the day will come where I look into the mirror and see what we all fear the most, a mediocre or even poor hairline with a pluggy appearance. I suppose hair can be taken more from around the nape or ears, but there is still always a chance things don't turn out quite well.

While yes I know I sound a bit paranoid, it is also good to understand the possible risks with HT's. My question is what does everyone think about bleaching ones hairline as a possible solution to this potential problem. This of course would create a much softer appearance up front as the hairs would become lighter. Only drawback is you'd probably have to maintain this once a week.

• Administrators

As long as you choose a good surgeon a pluggy hairline isn’t going to happen. 

I have basically jet black hair 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, SD1984 said:

Thanks Melvin. Where did you get your hairline done?

Dr. Diep in Los Gatos. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Thanks. Do you know if a lot of hairs from the nape area were used from the frontal part of the hairline or was your donor hair rather thin to begin with (low microns)

In the old days hair from the nape is exactly where doctors would harvest from for hairline work.  They soon found out it was not a good idea as this area tends to thin in time, (and thus causing the grafts to thin as well).  Now-a-days the finest hair can be found behind the ear. If the doctor is good, this should not be a concern.  Start looking at photos of results and pay particular attention to cases similar to your own.  When you find the one you like, contact the clinic. Go through a couple of consultations, ask away and then move fwd.  

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, SD1984 said:

Thanks. Do you know if a lot of hairs from the nape area were used from the frontal part of the hairline or was your donor hair rather thin to begin with (low microns)

No nape hairs were used. I have thick hair in microns. Singles were used which give it a softer appearance. 

View my thread