Finasteride before HT, good idea or bad idea?

Phab

For someone who has lost 50% of hair on top and is going to do HT in a year's time, is it better to take Fin before HT? I have 2 arguments: a pro and a con. I would like to discuss.

A con argument: It's best to not take fin and let the non-transplanted hair fall as to leave space for new trasplanted hair. Assuming transplanted hair won't fall due to DHT. That way the surgeon has more area to cover with "good" transplanted follicles creating a density of ONLY transplanted hair.

A pro argument: It's best to take fin before HT as to make the hair stronger to avoid shock loss and to have more density. Even thou the density is with transplanted and non-transplanted hair and even thou Fin doesn't completly block hair loss so part of the hair will still fall.

What is best to do?

Edited by Phab

• Phab changed the title to Finasteride before HT, good idea or bad idea?

You need try finasteride. Your first argument makes little sense. Prevention is time sensitive, if you want to keep any native hairs you need to start. More native hair, more density for your ht. That being said, you should post photos so ppl could see your situation. Are you a diffuse thinner?

• Administrators

100% good idea. I don't really see any situations where you shouldn't try finasteride unless you can't handle the side effects. Even then, you should try either topical finasteride, or minoxidil. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Yeah diffuse thinning caused by alopecia. I still have some hair on top. And 50% is not accurate. They say you only notice going bald after 50% and ppl can already noticed, so I'd say I have 30% of my hair on top

Edited by Phab