how long is the ugly duckling phase?

I am 2 months post-op. How long until guys usually see new hair growth from the transplanted hair? Also my surgeon said I can get another transplant as soon as 6 months if I wanted to (people recommend 1 year just to see the full results first), is this true? How many FUT's can guys usually undergo (on average)? Like how can you tell if your skin doesn't have enough laxity. Is it also true that every subsequent FUT strip, the amount of grafts you harvest decreases? (like 1st transplant can be 2,500 grafts, but the 2nd strip will only give 2,000 grafts, and then 3rd would be 1,500)?

Hair growth normally starts around the 3-4 month mark. Some slightly earlier while some slightly later. Not only is it different with each person but it's also different with each procedure. There are some members who have had 4 FUTs with the first being the largest. I myself have had 2. My first surgery I had 3500 and the second I had about the same. I was initially told about 2000-2200 during consultation for my second procedure but was advised if I did scalp laxity exercises for 3-4 months about 45 mins a day I can likely get more grafts and it did help to get me 3500 grafts. You can go on YouTube and you will find videos from Hasson and Wong on how to perform them.

Edited by deitel130
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, deitel130 said:

Hair growth normally starts around the 3-4 month mark. Some slightly earlier while some slightly later. Not only is it different with each person but it's also different with each procedure. There are some members who have had 4 FUTs with the first being the largest. I myself have had 2. My first surgery I had 3500 and the second I had about the same. I was initially told about 2000-2200 during consultation for my second procedure but was advised if I did scalp laxity exercises for 3-4 months about 45 mins a day I can likely get more grafts and it did help to get me 3500 grafts. You can go on YouTube and you will find videos from Hasson and Wong on how to perform them.

Does the crown take up more grafts? I am a Norwood 6. I did about 2,100 FUT grafts in my first procedure for a conservative frontal half of my scalp (did not address the temples). The surgeon said it might take 2 more FUT's to cover the back half and the crown dip to get full head coverage. I also lost the temples and was hoping to get that done with the 3rd procedure (when covering the crown dip). Do you think the temples would be addressed in the 3rd procedure, or will a 4th (potentially FUE) procedure have to be done? 

Thanks for the scalp exercises tip, I will look into that.  

Do you any pics of the crown? Personally I would keep light coverage of the crown and rather use the grafts to have more coverage in the front and mid. 2100 grafts seem like small procedures for FUT. If you go FUT route have you consulted with clinics doing larger procedures? It would save you having to go through multiple recoveries. Then again laxity would also play a factor.

3 hours ago, deitel130 said:

Do you any pics of the crown? Personally I would keep light coverage of the crown and rather use the grafts to have more coverage in the front and mid. 2100 grafts seem like small procedures for FUT. If you go FUT route have you consulted with clinics doing larger procedures? It would save you having to go through multiple recoveries. Then again laxity would also play a factor.

It's because my sides were not strong enough. But my back is. And the maximum he was able to harvest was 2,100 grafts. He said this is fine, I just would have to have multiple sessions vs one big one. You can see my crown in my previous post. Also when can I start doing scalp laxity exercises after a transplant (don't want to stretch the scar or anything)?

Edited by baldiee

• Administrators

It’s usually two months, here’s a video on how to make the best of it

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

37 minutes ago, baldiee said:

It's because my sides were not strong enough. But my back is. And the maximum he was able to harvest was 2,100 grafts. He said this is fine, I just would have to have multiple sessions vs one big one. You can see my crown in my previous post. Also when can I start doing scalp laxity exercises after a transplant (don't want to stretch the scar or anything)?

I was advised to wait about 10 months before starting laxity exercises but every surgeon may have a different opinion. It's probably safer to wait a year.

• 4 months later...