Best needle size for derma-rolling?

TheDarkHour

Been using minoxidil once a day for the past two months and have seen a bit of progress. Want to add derma-rolling to the regimen but I'm worried about minoxidil going systemic. What's the best needle size? Don't want it to be too painful. Heard some folks recommend 1.5mm. Seems too much to start off with tbh. I tried derma-rolling by itself (can't remember the size) before but got some temporary scars, likely because I was doing it way too often. Plan to only do it once a week this time

Edited by TheDarkHour

I have been using 1mm since October, seems to be working well for me and without any problems. Just a £10 one from Amazon.

I do it once a week and usually on a day I don't do minoxidil. Maybe it would actually help minoxidil be absorbed and work better but I thought it was best to play safe and do it on a "clean" day so to speak.

I found some youtube videos showing you how to do it, i do it lightly to moderately.

• Thanks 1

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

6 hours ago, TheDarkHour said:

Did you do it to the point where you would start bleeding? I never pushed hard enough to cause bleeding, just redness and stinging.

No definitely not. Just to where I can feel it, not painful. 

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

16 hours ago, TheDarkHour said:

What would you say us the best length to help with minoxidil absorption?

"0.5 to 1.5mm: This is where you want to be if your aim is to stimulate hair growth, Dr. Palep says. In fact, a 1.5-millimeter tool is often considered the go-to because it can better penetrate through hair and scalp buildup. Just note that there is a higher potential for damage and pain if used incorrectly, so you'll want to reach for these much more sparingly — a gap of at least two weeks before each subsequent session is recommended." https://www.bustle.com/style/best-dermarollers-for-hair

You can also consider TommyLucchese advice about especially you will be using Minoxidil too.

Edited by Crickhair
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crickhair said:

"0.5 to 1.5mm: This is where you want to be if your aim is to stimulate hair growth, Dr. Palep says. In fact, a 1.5-millimeter tool is often considered the go-to because it can better penetrate through hair and scalp buildup. Just note that there is a higher potential for damage and pain if used incorrectly, so you'll want to reach for these much more sparingly — a gap of at least two weeks before each subsequent session is recommended." https://www.bustle.com/style/best-dermarollers-for-hair

You can also consider TommyLucchese advice about especially you will be using Minoxidil too.

Thanks. Just bought a 1mm roller.

• Like 1

My husband just start losing hair and one of his friend suggested him laser cap, so he's bought laser cap through Kiierr coupons, but I don't know about it much, 
First:did someone using it?
Second:Derma-Rolling really work? And If I buy it for my husband, what needle size my husband should use at starting?

Edited by melissajeffrey