What is the risk in exercising before the 3 week mark?

I am under the impression that the hair graft follicle is mechanically secure by 1 week post op. If this is the case then what is the risk with exercising after 1 week post op? Is it sweat? Stress? Valsalva?

as a general rule of thumb, all grafts are 100% securely anchored in by Day 9 or so. General wound, scab, scalp healing, etc can still be affected by intense and/or physical exercise tho. 

I would definitely ask your operating surgeon for a definitive answer. There may be unique particulars of your specific hair transplant that only your surgeon is aware of. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/1/2021 at 4:31 PM, T95good said:

I am under the impression that the hair graft follicle is mechanically secure by 1 week post op. If this is the case then what is the risk with exercising after 1 week post op? Is it sweat? Stress? Valsalva?

There's a risk of stretching FUT scars depending on what type of exercise you're doing and I've seen this happen, especially with heavy lifting. I would hold off on such activity for about 3-4 weeks.

Edited by Dr. Suhail Khokhar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

1 hour ago, T95good said:

@Dr. Suhail KhokharKhokhar is this the case with FUE procedures as well? Any risk to recipient site?

I started back training 9 days after my FUE in November. Just lightish weights and circuits nothing strenuous. I think one of the main other factors is of you are on any medication. I was on steroids for swelling which made me light headed until they were finished.  If you're at the stage where you can wash your grafts after sweating then you should be fine. I'm like a bear with a sore head if I don't train so 9 days was enough!

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, T95good said:

@Dr. Suhail KhokharKhokhar is this the case with FUE procedures as well? Any risk to recipient site?

FUE scars (they're obviously much smaller than an FUE scar, it's just that there are a lot more of them) can still be strained so I advise patients to wait 2 weeks before resuming strenuous physical activity. 

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider.