Wasting some of the extracted grafts?

I found this Google review of a hairmill in Turkey I've been checking out after somebody asked my opinion on them:

"The worst choice I've ever made. They said they planted about 5,000 follicles. But there are terrible spaces, they picked out a large number of follicles (when I asked them they said more than 5,000). But they planted about 3,000 or a little more follicles and threw the rest just to get the nurses out at 6 o'clock."

This is outrageous and made me feel sick. I wonder if it happens often in such clinics?

I wonder if this is the case sometimes when people complain even on this forum that they were promised a certain amount of grafts, but not really showing in the recipient area.

Very possible. I see almost one tech mill "victim" a day. It could be that some grafts are gone to waste. In other cases a number might just be told while the real one extracted is less. In other cases the donor seems to be corresponding to a big number but the recipient or result is not. In all cases it is hard to know what really went on, except that something unethical happened. 

• Like 1

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

37 minutes ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

Very possible. I see almost one tech mill "victim" a day. It could be that some grafts are gone to waste. In other cases a number might just be told while the real one extracted is less. In other cases the donor seems to be corresponding to a big number but the recipient or result is not. In all cases it is hard to know what really went on, except that something unethical happened. 

Thank you for your input, @DrTBarghouthi. One tech mill victim a day, that's so sad to hear. :(

I think of the 2 possible scenarios you mentioned it's still "better" if a patient was just scammed as to what the real extracted numbers were. But extracting such a huge number while knowing they probably won't have enough time to implant them all before the nurses "need" to leave at 6 o'clock, and wasting 2000 grafts is just.. heartless, brutal, it's a criminal offence. 

It is surely worse. The thing is there is no limit to where unethical practices go. A hair transplant is a joint effort where quality control processes and checks should be in place the whole time.  It becomes a vicious cycle: good work and good teams deliver good results. Good results motivate the entire team. when a team is motivated and sees consistently their outcomes, they would not care about an odd case running late and they would hate wasting a single graft. The opposite is also true. 

Unfortunately, when commercially driven practices book huge numbers just to convert clients, the ground staff will start taking corners. 

• Like 1

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

3 hours ago, qui bono said:

I remember one person telling me that a graft is considered a living organ (not sure if its true or of its technical status in legally), but regardless it does seem criminal to throw them away.

No, it's a valid point, it is certainly a living organ and as such it would malpractice, criminal offence to throw them away and deprive a patient of a second chance to fix what they botched. 

2 minutes ago, pradeepbr said:

If I ever run into that situation again, will bribe the nurse by paying some money to plant the grafts. I will take some cash to give as tip to them if I see them stretching into night.

Oh.. so it actually happened to you? :( Please tell us.