Too long hair wash

I am writing because on my 11th day post I may have done a mistake with a long hair wash.

I read multiple times the importance to reach day 10th with the scalp free of scabs.

Today I was in my day 11th and I still had scabs therefore I intensified the hair wash.

Following my Clinic instructions I kept head below the shower for 15 minutes, later I soaked and massaged with Clinic Shampoo for 10 minutes to finish with 5 minutes more with head below shower water.
When I finished I saw that I still had some scabs therefore I decided to repeat the process (shampoo another 10 minutes plus removal with water another 5 minutes). All together was 50 minutes. 

Then I realised that it was too long and now I am afraid that I have could damage the grafts and skin around due to long exposure to water and shampoo.

Any help or feedback would be much appreciated.

• Administrators

After 10 days, you should be fine, please see this study

https://www.bernsteinmedical.com/research/graft-anchoring-in-hair-transplantation/

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Many thanks for your answer, Melvin.

I know well this study but I am concerned now with the possible chemical harassment I could have done with the long exposure to shampoo and water in that hair wash.

I am not concerned about mechanical harassment because I am after the 10th day post plus I never saw any trace of blood or any grafts dislodged. 

Anyhow many thanks for your feedback. It is highly appreciated.

2 hours ago, Tamagochihandler said:

Many thanks for your answer, Melvin.

I know well this study but I am concerned now with the possible chemical harassment I could have done with the long exposure to shampoo and water in that hair wash.

I am not concerned about mechanical harassment because I am after the 10th day post plus I never saw any trace of blood or any grafts dislodged. 

Anyhow many thanks for your feedback. It is highly appreciated.

If it's a shampoo given to you from the clinic then I would imagine it would be very mild. Unless your scalp felt irritated or any pain was present afterwards you should be ok. The grafts are in and growing just try to not to other think every stage. I'm on about day 17 myself and trust me we all obsess over every detail. Good luck 👍🏼

Many thanks Richie888,

It was the Clinic Shampoo. I just felt like a bit of dry skin after, but it is difficult to say what I felt.
Just extreme worry and regret about what I had done stupidly. 
I am still wondering how I could have the idea to repeat the shampooing without thinking about the excessive time. I was too focused about not leaving any scabs because of being at day 11th post.

You are right, this journey is a difficult psychological waiting game I am becoming totally obsessed with it. 

4 hours ago, Tamagochihandler said:

I am freaking out now. 
My scalp skin where grafts were place is peeling off.

I am afraid that I have definitely damaged the work.

I will contact with the Dr and Clinic to see what they advise. 

Contact the clinic mate because ultimately they are the one to put your mind at ease but bear in made layers of dry skin build up when not getting regular washes. My head was horrendous after a couple of days and I suffer with dry skin anyway. You could literally peel flakes of skin from my head and my forehead which I normally have to moisturise twice a day. Hope this helps and just remember after day 10 your follicles are well and truly established

Thanks for the good advice.

I have contacted the Dr and sent him some pictures. For time being, He has confirmed that according to pictures everything looks normal. He advised me as well to switch to one normal wash per day because my scalp is already cleaned. 

Thanks once again for the help.

• 2 weeks later...

I am writing again because my scalp has been kept peeling off non stop. It is specially visible after showering when I see white skin patches that are removing slowly throughout the days when soaked after shower.

I am on day 26 post surgery and my scalps is peeling non stop more and more since I did that mistake of keeping too long the shampoo over the scalp.

On my day 11 post I did the stupid mistake of doing too long hair wash aiming at removing all scabs (10 minutes water, 10 minutes shampoo massaging, 10 minutes water, 10 minutes shampoo massaging, 5 minutes water).

I'm afraid the long time exposure I did with the long hair wash with shampoo dehydrated the skin and now the skin is getting renewed. 

I contacted with Clinic 2 days after that incident and Dr told me that everything looked normal in pictures and that peeling off was part of skin healing, but I think that what I am having is definitely too much and I am also peeling off parts of scalp that were not touched by surgery. It is like renewing all scalp skin. 

If anyone could give me some more feedback. I am trying not to freak out but I can stop regretting how stupid I was with that mistake, specially taking into account that I have gone through this surgery already several times.

Do you think that skin dehydration due to long shampooing could dehydrate new hair follicles on day 11th?

Had anyone have a similar experience?.
Any feedback would be much appreciated.