When can my grafts go under the shower head?

I am post-op day 8 and have some white scabs forming around my grafts. Is it safe to scrub my grafts with shampoo tomorrow morning and rinse under the shower head? Or continue to pour water with cups?

Also when I tried peeling a scab off, a hair follicle was attached to it. Is this normal? Or did I take out a graft? (no blood followed). Or are they just dead hair follicles attached to the scabs? 

Edited by baldiee

General consensus is ~10 days post op:

https://www.bernsteinmedical.com/hair-transplant-video/grafts-fall-out/

"We did a study to see at what point transplanted grafts become so securely anchored into the scalp that they cannot be dislodged. We found that after 10 days, grafts become so permanently part of the body that no amount of scrubbing or combing can dislodge them.

To prevent accidental dislodging, in post-op care, the day after the surgery, we tell patients to shampoo their hair, but they should not rub the area as this can dislodge the grafts. Instead, they should gently tap the transplanted area to get it as clean as possible. After 10 days, however, patients can shampoo and wash their scalp normally."

Edited by Dr. Suhail Khokhar
  • Like 2

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

• Administrators

I would wait till the grafts shed. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Update: Dr. Bloxham actually recommends to start normal washing and shampooing on post-op day 4. I was hesitant at first with what everyone else is saying and waited till post-op day 9. I was able to scrub/remove so many scabs and now my scalp feels softer and cleaner! I did not bleed at all. Removing scabs is better for the healing process. 

Edited by baldiee