Travel pillow and donor area

My doctor said it was alright to rest on your donor area in his instructions so I'll quote what I told someone else (please correct me anybody else if I got it wrong)

it is okay to support your donor area when sleeping at night (my Dr gave me special protectors to not bloody my pillow/travel-pillow as there is some expected donor bleeding on the first night).

The neck pillow is to stop you sleeping on your recipient areas.

The crucial thing is to not rest on recipient area where hair was implanted as that could dislodge the grafts, but resting on the donor is fine. No need to do the personal endurance challenge some people do where they sit upright at 90 degrees to sleep.

I would say set up some pillows at like 30 degrees ish incline. Put the protector the doctor will hopefully give you on to your travel-pillow. Then stick the travel pillow on your neck with the protector inside it. Kick back and sleep. I slept like a log for 7-8 hours straight on the first night of my surgery. If you have some crown work down, maybe consider a steeper incline so it's less likely you lean on your crown.

Place an extra protector on your pillow just in case (i leaned back a bit unwittingly and left some blood spots on my pillow underneath my neck-pillow)

Edit: I should add, this is assuming you have an FUE procedure.

Edited by LondonRamen

It's fine to sleep on donor area and also having the neck pillow touch donor. It's not really the donor area of concern but rather the recipient area. If you have a FUT with staples you will want to sleep in a recliner for the first 10-14 until staples are out as pressure on staples may be slightly uncomfortable. Sutures should be fine. 

Edited by deitel130