Ok, what's the catch with SMP?

Browsing another thread I saw amazing, perfect results with SMP, like these ones:

1759040436_ScreenShot2020-11-02at21_30_40.thumb.png.1192b64ae9b006a8fdbf401d5baf3979.png

941904149_ScreenShot2020-11-02at21_32_35.thumb.png.ca6ac277369d033bb17b04b059fa6914.png

I assume this can't be the whole story. Could someone please enlighten me of what are the possible downsides of going the SMP route? I imagine at least the color will fade and maintenance sessions will be necessary often?

The transformation is amazing. 

Edited by JohnBob
  • Like 2

• JohnBob changed the title to Ok, what's the catch with SMP?
  1. will need touch ups
  2. color fades green in some instances
  3. sometimes its not always natural looking

1 and 3 are "downsides" sort of similar to hair transplants patients, so its important to do your research just as if you were getting a hair transplant. I've never seen an SMP case that large in the photo you posted. great result and a true solution to people with FUT that decide to shave it

• Like 1

SMP does have its limitations:  you have to maintain the length of the native hair to match the SMP which usually requires shaving the head every 1-3 days; not all SMP providers are equal - some are simply going to provide better results than others; not all pigments are created equal - some are permanent and might discolor over time while all pigments (permanent and non-permanent) will fade over time; the illusion tends to look better on those less hair-to-skin contrast (ie, dark skin/dark hair) and with lower degrees of hairloss.

For FUT scarring, it can truly be positively impactful. 

I seriously considered SMP at one point on my crown, and even visited an SMP guy. The guy himself had SMP done so I could see it firsthand

Cons

• forgot the specifics, but just like with a HT, your appearance will be "off" for 1-3 weeks
  • its a tattoo, and since it will be on your scalp it will be in the sun all the time. I was told you seriously do need to put sunscreen on it pretty much every time you go outside, or else it will seriously start to fade
  • in certain lighting it looks horribly fake. The light "bounces off" the scalp easily if that makes sense
  • It only lasts 3-4 years
  • It's really only meant for a guy to have an appearance of having a boring buzz cut
  • If you are planning on getting it done on an area of the scalp that is completely bald without a hair in sight, it will look fake
  • Not to belittle the profession, but SMP artists are essentially tattoo artists. IT's hard enough finding a trustworthy MD to do a hair transplant, you really have to trust the tattoo artist to do SMP

The only use case IMO is if you are getting SMP done on a diffuse thinning area, in that there is hair around the SMP region that will blend in well. And if you have to be willing to keep your hair forever short in the region you get it done. And there is still the cost, getting it done every 3-4 yrs. 

If the above doesn't phase you, I would still only get it done on my crown. Getting it done on the hairline or frontal region runs a huge risk of looking fake. You would have to have a short/buzz cut anyways, might as well just have the natural bald buzzcut. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, DenverBuff1989 said:

I seriously considered SMP at one point on my crown, and even visited an SMP guy. The guy himself had SMP done so I could see it firsthand

Cons

• forgot the specifics, but just like with a HT, your appearance will be "off" for 1-3 weeks
  • its a tattoo, and since it will be on your scalp it will be in the sun all the time. I was told you seriously do need to put sunscreen on it pretty much every time you go outside, or else it will seriously start to fade
  • in certain lighting it looks horribly fake. The light "bounces off" the scalp easily if that makes sense
  • It only lasts 3-4 years
  • It's really only meant for a guy to have an appearance of having a boring buzz cut
  • If you are planning on getting it done on an area of the scalp that is completely bald without a hair in sight, it will look fake
  • Not to belittle the profession, but SMP artists are essentially tattoo artists. IT's hard enough finding a trustworthy MD to do a hair transplant, you really have to trust the tattoo artist to do SMP

The only use case IMO is if you are getting SMP done on a diffuse thinning area, in that there is hair around the SMP region that will blend in well. And if you have to be willing to keep your hair forever short in the region you get it done. And there is still the cost, getting it done every 3-4 yrs. 

If the above doesn't phase you, I would still only get it done on my crown. Getting it done on the hairline or frontal region runs a huge risk of looking fake. You would have to have a short/buzz cut anyways, might as well just have the natural bald buzzcut. 

very comprehensive answer thanks!

The only real way to fairly evaluate it case to case is seeing it in person.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY