Scar Revision

Hi all,

I have a quick question regarding scar revision or hair transplants in general. I recently got a scar on my scalp and I am so embarrassed how I got it and also the fact that I now have this bald spot that has made me really self conscious.  I haven't consulted with anyone but would like to get some advice. Would it be safe to get scar revision or a FUE hair transplant into the scar? Would the scar revision leave a better scar? Would FUE hair grow out of the scar? Here are some photos of the scar itself. I think it is about 3/4 inches long and 2mm in width. Any help would be greatly be appreciated, thank you. 

IMG_3617.jpg

Edited by guy479
Same pics uploaded multiple times.

• Administrators

FUE into the scar is a aafe bet, there’s no guarantee a scar revision will leave a better scar. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

9 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

FUE into the scar is a aafe bet, there’s no guarantee a scar revision will leave a better scar. 

Do you know roughly an estimate of how many grafts a small scar would cost and if a doctor would potentially take on the surgery since it is small. 

• Administrators

Probably a few hundred, you could use beard hair.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Valued Contributor

You can definitely improve that scar. To me it looks fairly new. You really want to let it heal for at least 12 months. Two years is more preferable as a scar takes a long time to mature and stabilize. If you choose the right surgeon then utilizing beard grafts as your donor would definitely improve the situation. Do lots of research on hair transplant surgeons who do regular work in transplanting grafts into scars. Take your time and don't jump out of the pan into the fire. All the best.

On 11/10/2020 at 4:18 AM, Gatsby said:

You can definitely improve that scar. To me it looks fairly new. You really want to let it heal for at least 12 months. Two years is more preferable as a scar takes a long time to mature and stabilize. If you choose the right surgeon then utilizing beard grafts as your donor would definitely improve the situation. Do lots of research on hair transplant surgeons who do regular work in transplanting grafts into scars. Take your time and don't jump out of the pan into the fire. All the best.

How many grafts do you think it will require, the scar for sure isnt an inch in size and is a few mm wide. 

• Valued Contributor

I'm not a surgeon (not even a dodgy one!;-)). My 'guesstimate' though would be around 150-200. You don't want to densely pack into scar tissue. Also placing grafts in that area will help give vascularity to the scar tissue. Another option or adjunct to FUE would be SMP. Do plenty of research though into all of your options. All the best!

1 minute ago, Gatsby said:

I'm not a surgeon (not even a dodgy one!;-)). My 'guesstimate' though would be around 150-200. You don't want to densely pack into scar tissue. Also placing grafts in that area will help give vascularity to the scar tissue. Another option or adjunct to FUE would be SMP. Do plenty of research though into all of your options. All the best!

thank you!