Using Minoxidil with Sea Salt Spray or Hair Thickener

Sickboy

Hi all.

I have been using minoxidil for 25 years or so  and together with propecia and one hair transplant feel I am in a really good place with my hair and very happy with it.

I have recently started using using either sea salt spray or a thickening cream as both add a great deal of volume to my hair. Both the sea salt spray and the thickener need to be added to wet hair and blow dried, where as ideally I believe minoxidil needs to be added to dry hair, with no product in.

So my question is in what order should I apply each product...........??

Should I apply the minoxidil to a wet scalp, massage it in, then apply the salt spray or thickener and then blow dry?? This goes against everything I was told about not applying to minoxidil to wet hair or using a blow drier after applying it.

Should I apply the minoxidil to a dry freshly washed scalp, then re-wet my hair to apply the sea salt spray or thickening cream, then blow dry my hair? I have tried both the salt spray and thickening cream on dry hair and neither works. Both leave my hair very greasy and it fails to add any volume.Does re wetting my hair risk washing off the minoxidil?

Should I apply the salt spray or thickening cream to wet hair, blow dry it then apply the minoxidil?  This seems to go against the advice of using minoxidil on hair with product in, although out of the 3 my thinking was that this was perhaps the best way to do it.

Does anyone follow a similar regime? If so any advice?

Not familiar with the salt spray and thickening cream, but the concern about styling products is that they will effect the scalp skin's absorbancy potential. You don't want to be crossing your fingers that the minoxidil solution will be able to penetrate through any styling product residue that gets on your scalp skin. And you want to make sure that the minoxidil dries on its own, that liquid is the vehicle for delivering the minoxidil into the skin so no blow drying, and then styling products.

I used topical foam minoxidil for about a year and had to stop it due to skin irritation. During that time because the foam absorbs so quickly I would start with a dry scalp and then wet my hands a bit and run my fingers through my hair so that the hairs have a bit less potential to absorb the minoxidil -and when the hair is a little wet it clumps together more making it easier to see and directly reach your thinning scalp areas, then apply the foam and let it dry on its own, then I would put on dermmatch, toppik,then hairspray it.

After the minoxidil dries you should try to gradually wet your hair by running your hands under some water, then run them through your hair without touching your scalp -and repeat that until you gradually dampen your hairs enough for applying that spray and cream.

• 5 months later...