Hair shedding after 7 months

Hi all

i had a hair transplant in February. About 1000 grafts.

i am now 7 months in and have noticed increased hair shedding. Not sure if it’s native or transplanted. I wanted to see if anyone has experienced something similar? How long can shedding last post surgery?

thanks in advance.

At 7 months post-op lots of new growth should be taking place...how much new growth have you noticed or is it just shedding?...have you started any new hair loss meds recently?

I highly recommend that you discuss this with your surgeon.

• Like 2

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

8 hours ago, gillenator said:

At 7 months post-op lots of new growth should be taking place...how much new growth have you noticed or is it just shedding?...have you started any new hair loss meds recently?

I highly recommend that you discuss this with your surgeon.

unfortunately medication gave me side effects so I cannot take them.

i have noticed hair growth so that is not a problem. It’s the shedding that I was concerned about. Is that normal?

@CreamyLoganit depends on what kind of fall we are talking about, here, the veterans of the forum, talk about normal daily loss of up to 100 hairs, as far as I'm concerned, I don't know exactly how much hair fell in that month, but I immediately realized that there  'was something abnormal, I hope for you that it is different.

On 9/10/2020 at 3:45 AM, CreamyLogan said:

unfortunately medication gave me side effects so I cannot take them.

i have noticed hair growth so that is not a problem. It’s the shedding that I was concerned about. Is that normal?

Sorry to hear about the side effects...if you talk with your doctor about decreasing the dosage, sometimes that can help...finasteride has a long shelf life and potentially there still can be some efficiency for some guys taking less amounts.

Normally a shed does not occur during the regrowth period unless it is shock loss...but I doubt this is shock loss since you are 7 months post-op.

Do you see more loss than an average of 100 hairs daily?

• Like 1

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

10 minutes ago, CreamyLogan said:

when I comb I see up to thirty or more.

equal to me, only in the eighth month, now less, and in any case the number of hair that has fallen out, has no longer "returned", unfortunately.

• 1 year later...

I have always discouraged the "initial" post-op use of finasteride, minoxidil, DUT or anything else that can potentially impact the cyclical behavior of hair follicles until the regrowth period has been fulfilled....once the regrowth of the grafts has taken place, then IMHO that's the time to initially start hairloss meds.

Please notice that I carefully stated "initial post-op use" immediately following surgery...over the years I have observed some men start some of these hairloss meds "for the first initial time" immediately following surgery and experienced adverse effects, primarily acute sheds...so, instead of having a new regrowth period, their grafts were stunted until the shed cycle was fulfilled.

So, to make a very important clarification, those of us who had already been using finasteride, minoxidil, etc "before" surgery are not likely to experience a shed from resuming these meds post-op...in fact, many doctors advocate their patients "resuming" their medicinal regimens post-op.

And yes new growth cycles resume after shed cycles are fulfilled...the more acute shed cycles can potentially last for approximately 9-12 months.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Thank you @gillenator for the advice.  I agree, unfortunately my 7 months ago self did not consider this or know about this forum :( . 

I am a case of what you mentioned, started finasteride a few weeks after my HT at the recommendation of my doctor.  Initially I was too scared to take it due to the sides, fortunately I didn't get any.  If I could have a do-over, I'd have gotten on the finasteride 6-12 months before the transplant to see whether it thickened anything up, and to better assess impacts of the fin vs the transplant independently instead of doing these at the same time.  Conflated effects are so frustrating!  Appearing to go backwards from month to month is very upsetting, and identifying the root cause of the shed can be hard.

But it is good to hear that the new growth should resume after any med based shedding stops...I am hoping for some 'catch up growth' in the later months after my bout of shedding ceases.  It sounds like long term the results will be the same, but with more bumps in the road if you start therapies right after the procedure.

Edited by Lightmare

Yes my friend, you can be encouraged to know that the shed cycle is temporary and once the follicles have rested in dormancy, they will enter a new growth cycle.

Gillenator

• 1 month later...

Thanks Gillenator for the input.  I am trying to keep calm but my results seem to look more and more patchy as time goes on.  Hopefully I am turning a corner soon.

@Egy thanks for the reply.  I am sorry to hear about that.  Did you ever find out why your transplanted hair fell out and didn’t return?  Did you do any biopsy or anything?  

Edited by Lightmare

Hi @Lightmare,yes, I did the scalp biopsy (if you read my thread, I wrote it) but I have not been diagnosed with any scalp problem, I also have a doubt, and that is that the part of the scalp removed and visited perhaps she was healthy, while a few centimeters further on, she may be suffering from cicatricial alopecia or LPP, but I am not a doctor, I say this because like you, (I read what you wrote in the @baallossthread) I also have had a non-uniform, but irregular fall of the transplanted, mostly from the left side.  If you are thinking about a biopsy, as you stated in the Baalloss thread) I advise you to do it, do not be afraid of the scar, it is not noticeable, it is about 1-1.5 cm, but I recommend that you have the sample done in more points on the scalp, just so you can be sure.

Edited by Egy
  • Like 1