Are there major arteries in donor area at risk?

Are there any major arteries or veins on the back of the head at the donor site?

If so, is it possible that the strip removal/healing period can damage or cause a blockage of an artery or something similar?

Yes, I'm seriously asking.

mushigao

In the hands of an experienced surgeon, careful and controlled excision of the donor strip with a single-bladed knife prevents harming the underlying tissue and nerves.

Best,

Anthony (youngsuccess)

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

Depending on your idea of what is major or not, yes or no...

From a practical standpoint I routinely see 1 to 2mm vascular bundles during strip removal. With care, they can be avoided usually. If they are transected (cut into) minimal cautery or at most, a small suture ligation (tying it off) controls the bleeding.

The scalp is so quick to heal that collaterals (new additional blood vessels) grow quickly and continue to carry blood to and from the scalp even after tying off these small blood vessels.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I suffered bad nerve damage at the hands of another Norton butcher, Kevin Hartley, he was still using a multibladed knife in late 2005. My scalp is still numb and throbs 4 years later. I don't think this mofo 'attempts' HTs anymore, which is a good thing.