How bad is being a smoker realistically for surgery

I'm 2 month away and having a hard time kicking the habit.  Is being a smoker that bad really? I just had all my blood and other basic tests done, and everything seems great.  I'm only mid 30s, smoked 15 years on/off, and never had really any health issues.  Any smoker go through with a hair transplant? Is being a smoker that bad that I should cancel surgery until I can quit?

Another question - due to covid, my only consultation was my photos, with the rest of the plan being done on day of surgery.  What if after closer inspection HW says I shouldn't refine my hairline because I will end up going high NW level, or my donor is weaker than it appeared? Do I walk out of the clinic out 10K deposit?

Aside of the fact it is just not good for you, it can have an effect on the cardiovascular system.  It has been directly correlated to about 20% of deaths when it comes to heart attacks.  Thus, if it has an effect on blood circulation due to the nicotine constricting vessels, it will have an effect on hair transplants.  And then you have to contend with coloring of the teeth and the smell.  Stick to the plan.  You'll look good, smell good, and have a "commercial" white smile.  Bet you will get a bunch of compliments.

If you're not a candidate, (and the doctor is a straight shooter), they'll cancel the procedure and refund your money. If the doctor is despicable and less than honest, it is likely they'll move forward with the procedure and keep the money.  You'll feel the effect for the rest of your life.

• Like 1

As mentioned by @LaserCap, smoking induces vasoconstriction (reduced blood flow) and impairs wound healing. Why spend all that money and get subpar results? 

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

WARNING-- GRAPHIC CONTENT -

Nice head of hair or a shortened life due to throat/mouth cancer?

My sister was a lifelong smoker who contracted squamous cell carcinoma (head and neck cancer) at 57.  She died at 59, having not eaten solid food for a year with me feeding her through a tube to her stomach.  Once the cancer spread following a failed jaw replacement, her neck was literally unable to heal and was open and exposed - the cancer growing across her throat until she died suffocating alive one night.   By then her nice head of hair was also history.

I know firsthand how hard it is to quit but sorry - our 'hard time' is a cake walk compared the misery you will endure should you roll the dice and come up snake eyes.   This goes for all smokers reading this.  You've been warned. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.