Looking for doctor recommendations in California/USA (and general insights)

Hi all,

I’m new here and I have a few questions. I’m 29/M with darker brown hair and my hairline has been going noticeably (to me) for about 6 years, but I’ve reached another shedding phase which I am realizing will soon result in my inability to hide my hair loss. 

I’ve been on finasteride for a few years, minoxidil for about six years, and various other things (2% shampoo, vitamins, etc.). I’m not sure if it’s a change in finasteride meds (last refill was different pills) or what, but the shedding is definitely back in full force and I have a good amount of cash to my name and am seriously considering an FUE transplant. I don’t know that I want to travel (internationally at least) - there seem to be plenty of good doctors just in California, it’s just a matter of how much money each one wants. I had a consult with Bosley (not going through them) and have talked to IAHRS-member Dr. Dauer in Los Angeles. He seems good, great results, but he recommends 1500 grafts at a flat $12,000. This seems a bit high, but he’s accredited and experienced.

In any case, beyond recommendations, I am looking for general guidance in this process, as I’ve just decided to seriously look at transplant options. What should I know? What worked for you? What do doctors not tell you? What misconceptions are common? What secrets are there to restorations, etc.?

Thanks

• Administrators

Here are out list of recommendations in California.
https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/surgeon-list/CA/California

That said, never let the location be the deciding factor. My personal surgeon was Dr. Diep in Los Gatos, you can see my hair transplant journey in my signature. Also, remember lists are just starting points for research. I suggest looking at the surgeon reviews section for unbiased and real reviews. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I used an off-branded nice enough guy in Huntington Beach for my 1st in 2014 and escaped lucky enough with good results -  but for #2 I went to Dr Mohebi In Encino - give his website a look and see what all he does.   I certainly happy with my result - he has a patient advocate here who can give you more info!

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.